Rats chewed on sand filter drain

suep

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 18, 2011
Portland, OR
I have a Hayward S244T 300lb sand filter and over the winter rats chewed on the drain pipe. There isn't a good seal when I put the cap on so there is a small constant drip. I have tried wrapping the drain pipe with pipe thread tape and also used Rectorseal T plus 2 pipe thread sealant with no luck.
Does anyone know of a way to fix this other than replacing the sand filter? Would it cause a problem if I just let it drip?

Post pics of how chewed up it is.

Put a bucket under the drip and measure how much water you lose per hour or day. If it is not too much and draining ok in the area you may he able to get away with it for a while.

I would have to drain the filter to post a pic and I don't want to do that right now. When the pump is on high there is a slow steady drip of just one drop at a time. It's not so noticeable when the pump is running on a lower speed but it is always a little wet at the base of the filter. I'm not losing a lot of water. I can't put a bucket under it because the drain is so low to the ground. Maybe I will just live with it for now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.