Rash from a friends pool

Hank2000

Bronze Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
Louisville ms
My two great nieces went to there aunts house to swim. They came home with a rash. My niece didn’t think much of it but when they went back the youngest one said as soon as she got in it felt like something was stinging or burning her. She got out and won’t go back in. I don’t blame her well the aunts husband brought a test kit home from work said it was for test there discharge water. I don’t know what all it test I’m assuming it does not do CYA. And that the clorien was just a little low I’m sure they keep it between 1-4 PPM as that is what the pool store recommended and they think I’m crazy for keeping mine between 4-8. My CYA is 50. He said CYA has nothing to do with how much clorien u should keep in the pool. Ok. My question is what could cause a rash and just I will know ( in case I ever have that problem) what can I do about it. Slam it. But my pool is so balanced and clean I wound have this problem

Two things come to mind for me ... either a low pH (acidic) or perhaps with no CYA, the chlorine was extremely potent and harsh. As a TFP member, you know first-hand what water should look and feel like. Congratulations! :) Just wait until you go somewhere like a motel with a public pool. Yikes! :eek:

Yeah I’m spoiled lol. I was kind of thinking the same thing. Don’t know the CYA is he has no way to check it. I offered to take my TF-100 kit over there and check everything but he said he just didn’t trust our way to take care of a pool. He the experts should know more then someone off the street. I’ll go help him when he can’t get it any better

There's this thread from last year ... Afraid Of My Pool

My thought was something to do with pH level, except I'm not sure a low pH would cause a rash, only the burning sensation. I hope you can figure out the cause.

Yeah I’m spoiled lol. I was kind of thinking the same thing. Don’t know the CYA is he has no way to check it. I offered to take my TF-100 kit over there and check everything but he said he just didn’t trust our way to take care of a pool. He the experts should know more then someone off the street. I’ll go help him when he can’t get it any better
that person needs to be slapped for saying that

Reactions: jblizzle
Wow is he full of himself. I just wouldn't let my kids swim there. And if they ask why I just tell him that you don't trust the way they maintain their pool given that that is the only place they've ever gotten a rash.

Sometimes in life it is difficult to discern who the real experts on a topic are. The topic of pool chemistry is certainly one of them for many people. Of course some people know everything!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If he wants his water tested by experts he should find an independent lab that can run water chemistry tests, rather than ask $8 an hour retail clerk. Also ask if any of those pool store experts own a pool. For fun, look up the job listings at your local L's and see what the qualifications and duties are. If that doesn't open his eyes nothing will.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.