Rare Texas hard freeze leaving me puzzled - please help!

Jun 8, 2016
Austin, Texas
In a normal winter we simply turn on the freeze protection and forget about it. If we have a freeze it is never for more than a day or two.

We are in a rare freeze. It has been below freezing for about 48 hours now. Today the wind comes with more precipitation and then we sink to teens and single digits for Sunday and Monday. We are getting more snow later in the week - we will not be thawing out for awhile.

Here's my question: With the freeze protection we were getting a low flow warning and the water level of the spa dropped to just below the tile. Therefore the water no long came over the spillway. I read on another thread here that this is likely because when the freeze protection switches from pool to spa every 15 minutes the valves don't close quickly so the water level slowly lowers over time. We have a heater that we ran overnight because that is what the neighbor's pool guy did for them. We also have tarps draped over the pipes and equipment.

Reading that the heater is not necessary. Reading that leaving it in Freeze Protection Mode is enough. But is it ok for the water in the spa to be low? will it continue to get lower so that it is below the jets? See photo - we are concerned that if the spa doesn't turn on every few minutes that the pipes will freeze within the walls due to the fact that is a a raised spa. Should we turn off freeze protection mode and manually switch the pump from pool to spa every few hours? Should we run the pool enough to make sure the water goes over the spillway? Are we over-reacting because we have never seen single digit temps LOL!?

Thanks for the advice!
Austin, Texas
SWG; Pentair equipment, Easy Touch Panel, ScreenLogic App

Attachments

• IMG_3963 2.jpg
    IMG_3963 2.jpg
    536.4 KB · Views: 11
In same situation here...freeze protection is working as designed...I also turned on the water features to run 24/7.

The only thing I was too late on is the water pipe that controls the water level and adds when needed...I couldn’t turn the switches vertical (off), likely frozen already, so wrapped it in a blanket and will cross my fingers for the next several days that I come out with minimal damage.

Here’s what I did to my pool equipment. Wrapped outer layer in old pool cover. Then wrapped around and around with the plastic that movers use when palletizing goods. Mulched gaps at the bottom. Turned on pumps to full 24/7.

I also have a diverter valve for the cleaner that’s in a different area and exposed. Used some old incandescent Christmas lights as a heating element, put an upside down trash can over the top, mulched gaps around the bottom, then bubble wrap all over it.

Wish me luck for 6F on Monday!

Attachments

• 409AAE28-7E52-4A3F-8B64-F3AE4AA70723.jpeg
    409AAE28-7E52-4A3F-8B64-F3AE4AA70723.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
Reactions: SwimmingBevo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.