Ran pump dry

Homeworks

Sep 14, 2020
Mentor, Ohio
I closed my pool yesterday. Forgot to turn off breaker to pump so this morning the pump started and ran all day...absolutely dry. Probably about 8hours. The pump sounded fine and surprisingly the motor was only warm to the touch. Any input as to what I should expect in the spring when I open the pool an start the pump. It is a Hayward northstar 2speed pump. Just replaced motor about a month ago. Has a ceramic seal I believe.

I did something similar recently with my older Hayward pump. It was running dry probably about 24 hours. Only had one visible leak but that was from melted Teflon tape at the outlet.

I took it apart to be safe and couldn't find any damage but replaced seals anyway since I had it apart and I had no idea how old they were. Without taking apart you could check for cracks to housing and see it the pump basket will hold water or wait til spring when you turn it back on. Taking it apart and putting it back wasn't that difficult if you are comfortable with that but you may not need to go that far if you don't have any leaks.

And welcome to TFP

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.