Ran out of liquid chlorine question

I use liquid chlorine from ace hardware(hth brand). I ran out of it and ran to ace to find out that there is a recall on it and they didn’t have any in stock. Should have done by next week. For some reason the clerk recommended 3” inch tablets. I’ve never used the tablets before. Can I mix and match the liquid chlorine and tablets? I’ve put in the recommended liquid chlorine amount yesterday. Should I use the tablets or should I just run out and buy liquid bleach? Also on these bottles of both the liquid andn tablets it says not to go over 4ppm of available chlorine. I use the recommended target of 4-6 ppm. Is it harmful to go over 4 ppm? I remember a while ago that someone said not to use the tablets cause it’s hard to keep the recommended levels? Thank you guys

What are your test results? The tablets are trichlor. They add chlorine, CYA, and are acidic. So depending on your test results you may be able to use them for a short time.

The 4 ppm limit you see on bottles and such is based on drinking water. With 0 CYA. Your pool has CYA, how much you will have to tell us. With 30 ppm CYA and FC of 6 ppm your active chlorine is minuscule versus 4 ppm FC in 0 CYA.

Ok so I just tested the pool water.
Fc=below .5ppm
cya=30
the cya test with the Taylor k2006 kit was just below 30. I could barely see it at the 30 level so I would imagine it’s around 27-29...I spoke to ace and they said they will be getting the liquid chlorine tomorrow. Just for my knowledge how does the tablets work? If it has chlorine and cya in them wouldn’t your cya levels get too high eventually. I thought cya doesn’t decrease and needs to be set to a certain number without going any higher or lower so you know how much chlorine to put in everyday? I do have 3 buckets of the 3inch tablets that a friend have to me. So if I could use them and understand how to use them I would like to use them instead of wasting them. Any help on using the tablets would be great. I have used the liquid chlorine the last two years without any issue. Thank you guys

With a CYA of 30 you could use the trichlor for a short time. You just record how much you use and raise your CYA level used for the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] to that level CYA. Then test your CYA to confirm every month or so.

I suspect you will be draining and taking down your pool come this fall. So you can manage using the trichlor and supplementing with liquid chlorine, if you like. Just always test and use the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Round up CYA tests. So if your test is between 30 and 40, use 40 CYA.

Do watch pH and TA at least weekly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the suggestion. The local pool store sells 12.5% for $6.99/gallon :thumbdown: so I was getting Food Lion's brand 8.25% for $2.99/gallon but their strength dropped to 6% recently. I could try Lowe's or Walmart, but the drive doesn't make it worth the savings.

I was just concerned that someone else on here located several states away was also told about the HTH recall, yet I can't find anything about it online. It must have been a sizable recall?!?!?

Correct. $12.99 for the full 2.5ga jug. Then you own the jug and can bring it back for refill. I think they just swap them. Clean the empties, refill and put back on the shelf for $12.99

If you bring in a empty the “refill” or swap is 5.29. It’s a really good price

Correct. $12.99 for the full 2.5ga jug. Then you own the jug and can bring it back for refill. I think they just swap them. Clean the empties, refill and put back on the shelf for $12.99

If you bring in a empty the “refill” or swap is 5.29. It’s a really good price

They likely & hopefully get sent out to a repackager for refill.
There is too much liability & regulation for a retailer to function as a legitimate repackager.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.