Raising ALK

ChrissyRa

Bronze Supporter
Jul 3, 2022
NY
Hello! I am reading to raise ALK you can just put household baking soda in the pool. I only have seen the small boxes you put in your fridge. Can anyone tell me where to get larger size boxes? How do you put this in your pool? Does it need to be brushed in or just poured all along the side of the pool?

Finally how do you know how much baking soda to put in? I have my test strip and its showing that it at 60.

Thank you!

Do you have a proper test kit? It is rare to need baking soda in a pool.

Yes, you can get baking soda in large bags, 7# as I remember, at Walmart, big box stores, etc.

A TA of 60 is perfectly fine. No need to add anything.

You need your own kit. The pool tech will not run your water correctly. Up to you.

Oh thats good to know that 60 is ok. I thought the range was 80-120.
If you are using Trichlor pucks for chlorinating, as they are very acidic, then keeping a higher TA is needed to counteract that acidity.
But you have a SWCG. Your TA can go down to 50 ppm with out issue. The pool tech and pool store will never tell you that. Just sell you more very expensive baking soda.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.