Raise CYA level via trichlor pucks

Jul 13, 2015
Central Indiana
I need to raise my CYA 18ppm to reach my target of 40ppm. I would like to use the pucks that I have I storage to do this now that I use only liquid chlorine.

My question is - how many pucks will I need to reach my goal? With pucks weighting about 6 ounces (or is it 8 ounces) with 10ppm of FC and 6ppm of CYA as a puck constant.

According to pool math - I would need about 82 ounces of stabilizer by weight based on pool volume. How do pucks factor into the weight given of 82 ounces? Would I divide the 6 ounce puck weight into 82 ounces of stabilizer giving me 13.6 pucks to reach my goal?

In the end I have estimated that based on my pool volume I would see about 1.1ppm of CYA released via the pucks which is not consistent with the above mentioned 13.6 pucks - so I am not sure of how to calculate.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Using the Effects of Adding Chemicals in Poolmath.

I put your pool volume, 33200 into Poolmath. Assuming an 8 oz puck (I think most of 3" pucks weigh that) it will raise your FC by 1.7ppm and CYA by 1 ppm.

So you would overall need to add 18 - 8 oz pucks. Probably going to take a while to get that much to dissolve.

It is so much easier just to add the CYA powder into a sock and dissolve it. Keep the pucks for when you go on vacation or a long weekend.

Take care.

Using the Effects of Adding Chemicals in Poolmath.

I put your pool volume, 33200 into Poolmath. Assuming an 8 oz puck (I think most of 3" pucks weigh that) it will raise your FC by 1.7ppm and CYA by 1 ppm.

So you would overall need to add 18 - 8 oz pucks. Probably going to take a while to get that much to dissolve.

It is so much easier just to add the CYA powder into a sock and dissolve it. Keep the pucks for when you go on vacation or a long weekend.

Take care.

Thanks for the reply and clarification. Now it makes sense to me.

Yes - it will take awhile to dissolve and I will likely take your advice and just use powder.

By the way - I love the the pool math calculator on this site and even have the app on my phone and am learning to use it...many thanks to the creator...thanks again for the reply!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.