Rainy icky mess and problems with sand in pool from filter-PROBLEM found! See note in first post.

I haven't added CYA yet bc i didn't think I was supposed to until I got the chlorine leveled out?? But I have everything ready to do it. We added another 70 oz of 12.5% about an hour ago to bring it to 5. This AM we put 38 oz. Just brushed it and was going to give it a little more time to mix around. The water is getting circulated SOO much better since changing the sand. The return is making a steady stream of bubbles and that wasn't happening before. My daughter is also helping to circulate per your instructions lol.
Get the CYA in there dissolving if you're all done emptying water via backwash/rinse, etc. You'll need it to protect the bleach from the sun. You don't need to wait for it to dissolve before adding any other chemicals. And use the sock method.

Reactions: Mermaid Mama
Will add the CYA, thank you Richard.
IMG_20200523_172111.jpg
FC 2.5 after 107 oz of 12.5%
CC I am not sure this time. If the picture looks clear to you than it's zero. I thought there might have been the slightest tinge of pink but really not sure. But after one drop it was definitely clear. I have done this test before but it's not been this close before.

Brushed all the walls and floor.
Also sponged off above the water line with bleach any mildew left from being covered for bad weather.

Next step? Slam? Add more chlorine tonight?

Water looks pretty.

Will add the CYA, thank you Richard.
View attachment 141193
FC 2.5 after 107 oz of 12.5%
CC I am not sure this time. If the picture looks clear to you than it's zero. I thought there might have been the slightest tinge of pink but really not sure. But after one drop it was definitely clear. I have done this test before but it's not been this close before.

Brushed all the walls and floor.
Also sponged off above the water line with bleach any mildew left from being covered for bad weather.

Next step? Slam? Add more chlorine tonight?

Water looks pretty.
Any CC .5 or less is considered zero here. You're fine.

Try the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight. If it passes, you just need to get things dialed in and enjoy. If it doesn't then you SLAM. With no visible algae and the amount of fresh water you've added, I suspect you'll be fine.

Reactions: Mermaid Mama
Any CC .5 or less is considered zero here. You're fine.

Try the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight. If it passes, you just need to get things dialed in and enjoy. If it doesn't then you SLAM. With no visible algae and the amount of fresh water you've added, I suspect you'll be fine.
We are read the overnight test instructions and are slightly under the minimum of FC of 3. Should we add a bit more chlorine to bring it up to 3? We were at 2.5 at around 5:00 PM.

So last night Chlorine was at a 6. That was an hour after we put in enough in to bring it to a 5. We didn't put solar cover on. And this morning it was a 4.5.

So 1.5 difference. The CYA sock is about to go in. But it says we will need 5 lbs and we don't have that much so we are going to use what we have for now and test when it's dissolved.

It's soooooo close. Do you think the CYA might be able to make up the difference at fighting off whatever is growing?

So last night Chlorine was at a 6. That was an hour after we put in enough in to bring it to a 5. We didn't put solar cover on. And this morning it was a 4.5.

So 1.5 difference. The CYA sock is about to go in. But it says we will need 5 lbs and we don't have that much so we are going to use what we have for now and test when it's dissolved.

It's soooooo close. Do you think the CYA might be able to make up the difference at fighting off whatever is growing?
Directly, no. But it will protect the chlorine from the sun so you'll have higher chlorine longer which should help with the killing.

Reactions: kimkats
Just tested
12:00 PM FC is at 1.0
CC at 0.5
4 lbs of CYA went in at 10:00 AM

So lost a bunch since this AM. I don't know if this matters but we have trees hovering over and they are constantly sprinkling organics into the pool so thinking we should always shoot for 5?

Do we need to slam with it 0.5 over? Or should I try overnight test again tonight to see if CYA helped?

Just an FYI, the Intex Auto Cleaner worked significantly better since changing the sand. So the circulation over the last two weeks has not been good and with the storm I shouldn't be surprised we are fighting something off.

Lol we thought we fried the breaker to the basement level. The GFI wouldn't fix it but it magically started working.

Once again thank you so much!!

Pump troubleshooting, return stream was looking different and gauge says it needs to be backwashed? Is this normal? I know you're not supposed to backwash with CYA but better now than in a day I suppose. I thoroughly rinsed and packed everything yesterday.
IMG_20200524_120849.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am going with Richard on this one...........take the FC up and see if you can keep it up to SLAM level. You are fighting something as shown by the lose of FC overnight and your filter pressure going up. You filter is doing it's job. I would back wash....yeah you will back wash some of the CYA out but......we can add more in so it is all good!

I think we have our situation under control. Thank you much.
It passed the test last night.
Last night FC 12
10:00 AM FC 11
3:00 PM FC 7.5
Kids swam
6:00 PM FC 7.5
Am I correct in my thinking? Going forward should I just try to maintain at 5 bc of all the trees or should I dial it down a bit more? Thank you so much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.