Radius Coping--Stone, Precast, Poured in Concrete?

PoolPaul

Oct 16, 2020
Southern California
Hi there-pool in So California (see build thread in sig). Lots of radius pieces needed for the coping. Contractor outlines the coping choices as stone, precast concrete or poured in concrete.

Stone--least likely to crack (big concern in SoCal), nicest looking, most expensive because labor intensive to fabricate
Precast--able to match decking (probably travertine), medium cost, middle of the pack in therms of cost.
Pour-in-place concrete--cheapest, most likely to crack.

Any other alternatives I should consider?

Any preferences?

Thinking of going 2' foot pieces to minimize cracking potential.

I think precast is the way to go. @jimmythegreek has posted pics of the way he cuts precast around curves. It is artistry.

Below I linked to your pool design so he and others can see the challenge you have in getting your coping following the curves.

full

Reactions: PoolPaul
I think precast is the way to go. @jimmythegreek has posted pics of the way he cuts precast around curves. It is artistry.

Below I linked to your pool design so he and others can see the challenge you have in getting your coping following the curves.
Thanks! I'm a little unclear on what you mean by "cuts precast" since I thought precast was molded into shape but I'll try to find the pics you're talking about.

You buy precast in standard shapes and then cut it further on site to fit.

See the coping pics in this thread...

For that shape and size you will have to make templates. That's the most expensive option. I would either pour in place and use segmented control joints to make it look like custom pieces. You would 22.5 degree cut all the Roman 45 corners and the large C swoops you cut into 2 or 3 equal pieces. Tint the concrete and use cantilever forms will look the same as custom for half the money. Otherwise use standard 6x12 paver coping in a contrasting color to you decking and then use travertine or whatever to butt to it. Concrete cracks when its poor quality and laid wrong. Proper mix amd handling with control joints can look perfect for decades, especially in non frost climates. Don't use sidewalk mix just because it's cheap. Tell the PB you want to see the ticket from the redimix truck to see the PSI mix amd insist on high strength 4000psi is great

@jimmythegreek thanks so much! I'll talk to him about the high psi concrete approach. I'll still get estimates for the custom precast approach.

Can you explain a little more what you mean by 22.5 degree cutting? What is being cut in that case (you mention it in the context of concrete)?

When you say use standard 6x12 are you talking about just for the straight areas?

Sorry I feel like I'm missing some of what you're saying.

Get an idea of how long the roman curve is coming from the long straight sides. Split that curve into 2 or 3 sections with control joints essentially cuts. Use that same distance to spread out the long and short straight sides so its uniform in appearance. I like to use angle cuts to make it look more custom. The curves of roman style look good with an angle cut in the corner. Depends on if you want it boxy or more flowing.
With pavers I wouldnt mix the two. You can use precast paver coping to make any angle or curve and it looks really good. Depends on style your going after whether modern or traditional. The ease is ita off the shelf amd one product you can make into any layout you want. In the northeast it's the standard nowadays for coping

Reactions: PoolPaul

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.