Radiant Pool and ?'s

flyweed

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2009
SW Wisconsin
Hey all. Well, this last WI winter finally took it's toll on our old 33" AGP. We got ready to take off the winter cover, and with all of the snow, ice, "polar vortex" and just overall nasty winter, we found where a portion of our wall had actually buckled, and the metal tore, liner ripped, etc etc. SO...wasn't fixable, and we just took it down.

I was looking at a new AGP with the standard uprights, top and bottom rail, etc, when I was talking to a friend that lives about an hour away. His parents just took down a Radiant Pool they've had for years. These are the 2 inch thick walled pools that each wall section interlocks with the next. Very nice pool Anyway....he said it was a 24ft diameter originally, but one of the "wall sections" was damaged (he thought), but said it could still be a 21ft pool with the good sections. I don't know enough about these pools, is this really the case? If one 4 ft section is damaged, could we just set it up as a 21ft pool? The price is right..they are only asking $400 for the entire thing, which includes the pool walls, filter system, winter cover, solar cover, solar reel, etc.

Thanks for any input.

Let's give this a bump and see if any one can help out. I have not seen anything like this discussed on the forum recently but you never know. Did you try using the Search function (be sure to select the G search)?

Hey all. Well, this last WI winter finally took it's toll on our old 33" AGP. We got ready to take off the winter cover, and with all of the snow, ice, "polar vortex" and just overall nasty winter, we found where a portion of our wall had actually buckled, and the metal tore, liner ripped, etc etc. SO...wasn't fixable, and we just took it down.

I was looking at a new AGP with the standard uprights, top and bottom rail, etc, when I was talking to a friend that lives about an hour away. His parents just took down a Radiant Pool they've had for years. These are the 2 inch thick walled pools that each wall section interlocks with the next. Very nice pool Anyway....he said it was a 24ft diameter originally, but one of the "wall sections" was damaged (he thought), but said it could still be a 21ft pool with the good sections. I don't know enough about these pools, is this really the case? If one 4 ft section is damaged, could we just set it up as a 21ft pool? The price is right..they are only asking $400 for the entire thing, which includes the pool walls, filter system, winter cover, solar cover, solar reel, etc.

Thanks for any input.

Hi I would jump on that deal!

I just had the Wilbur optimum installed which is their version of the radiant.

I think the sections are curved for that pool size so I don’t think you could just shrink down the round.

I know that’s. I much help, was really replying to let you know I called radiant when researching and they were super helpful. I would give them a shot.

Good luck

Reactions: Pool Novice NY

I think the sections are curved for that pool size so I don’t think you could just shrink down the round.

I know that’s. I much help, was really replying to let you know I called radiant when researching and they were super helpful. I would give them a shot.

Good luck

Good luck

hey! How did the Wilbar optimum work out ! Any pics ? I am trying to price that out on Long Island as well .. how much did you pay for installation excavation etc

Good luck

also why did you go with optimum over the radiant ?

Hi,
Here is an up to date pic from end of summer.
There is so much to tell you, if you want to private message me with your number I'm happy to call you and give you all the information.
In short I had the pool shipped to me from www.royalswimmingpools.com and was thousands cheaper than the installer I used was able to get it from his distributor.
I did sink it almost all the way as you can see in the pic and that required the concrete collar.
It wasn't easy to find someone who would work on this type of pool. Even though it seems similar enough to me as a traditional in-ground, and it is capable of being buried completely the "in-ground" pool builders had no interest.
We love it and it stays very warm, 16x24 is just right, we could have gone bigger but I just wanted to keep all associated costs down.
I have a spreadsheet I could email you with all the info on costs if you private message me.
thanks
Greg

Pool pic.jpg

@Pool Novice NY, I just checked the today price for reference. 16X32 rectangle 48inches deep is $6700. This would change our economical equations in the other thread considerably if it was half the price of a traditional pool by the time you installed it.

Just went back and built a complete 8ft deep rectangle 16x32 like it was a ‘regular pool’. With liner, braces, Walk in stairs, plumbing and equipment it was $13.9k. My price in the post above was just the shell. Then everything else is a upcharge.
So figure 1000 to dig the hole
2000 for the concrete collar ? (Just a guess)
Sand for the bottom ( Few hundred)
Labor and permits. My Next county over permits were $350

So roughly $17.5k plus labor. And any other extras like lights, solar cover (actually cheap at $190) ladder was another couple hundred.

It gets very close to ‘regular pool cost‘ building their pool to match

Building their ABG and burying it either half or all the way is much cheaper.

Just went back and built a complete 8ft deep rectangle 16x32 like it was a ‘regular pool’. With liner, braces, Walk in stairs, plumbing and equipment it was $13.9k. My price in the post above was just the shell. Then everything else is a upcharge.
So figure 1000 to dig the hole
2000 for the concrete collar ? (Just a guess)
Sand for the bottom ( Few hundred)
Labor and permits. My Next county over permits were $350

So roughly $17.5k plus labor. And any other extras like lights, solar cover (actually cheap at $190) ladder was another couple hundred.

It gets very close to ‘regular pool cost‘ building their pool to match

Building their ABG and burying it either half or all the way is much cheaper.
Where are you able to build this pricing ? The local Long Island rep for radiant quoted me $20000 for a free form oval pool with out the labor and when I contacted radiant direct they said they won’t sell me the pool direct

Hi,
Here is an up to date pic from end of summer.
There is so much to tell you, if you want to private message me with your number I'm happy to call you and give you all the information.
In short I had the pool shipped to me from www.royalswimmingpools.com and was thousands cheaper than the installer I used was able to get it from his distributor.
I did sink it almost all the way as you can see in the pic and that required the concrete collar.
It wasn't easy to find someone who would work on this type of pool. Even though it seems similar enough to me as a traditional in-ground, and it is capable of being buried completely the "in-ground" pool builders had no interest.
We love it and it stays very warm, 16x24 is just right, we could have gone bigger but I just wanted to keep all associated costs down.
I have a spreadsheet I could email you with all the info on costs if you private message me.
thanks
Greg

View attachment 124916
Really does look great ! I would love to hear why you chose optimum over radiant ..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Where are you able to build this pricing ? The local Long Island rep for radiant quoted me $20000 for a free form oval pool with out the labor and when I contacted radiant direct they said they won’t sell me the pool direct

Post #7 in this thread. @Maurino17 linked the website he used. If you haven't already, PM him your cell # and chat. He will have great answers for you.

Really does look great ! I would love to hear why you chose optimum over radiant ..

thanks, basically because of price and they are the same exact pool. It seems obvious Wilbar knocked off Radiant but since they are also a reputable manufacturer and the price was much better I was ok with that.
Also I couldn't find a Radiant dealer in my area anyway so I was on my own for finding an installer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.