Quietest Pumps (avail australia )

Hi All,

Looking to replace my two pool pumps with the Quietest available. I have solar panels so variable speed for reduced cost is not necessary and not sure if running 24 hours on low speed is really needed in my situation especially if i go with a robot but im open to suggestions. I am also looking at getting a s300i robot as well.

current pool filter pump Davey pm200
current solar heating pump davey CR150

As these run pretty much all day (as it costs me nothing with the solar production) im really looking for a cheap single speed quite pump unless variable will still give me the same filtering capacity during daylight hours. I guess im asking if single speed silent can be anywhere near as quite as variable

Hi All,

Looking to replace my two pool pumps with the Quietest available. I have solar panels so variable speed for reduced cost is not necessary and not sure if running 24 hours on low speed is really needed in my situation especially if i go with a robot but im open to suggestions. I am also looking at getting a s300i robot as well.

current pool filter pump Davey pm200
current solar heating pump davey CR150

As these run pretty much all day (as it costs me nothing with the solar production) im really looking for a cheap single speed quite pump unless variable will still give me the same filtering capacity during daylight hours. I guess im asking if single speed silent can be anywhere near as quite as variable

I was googling the same thing last night! Our heat pump was installed with an astral E230 boost pump but it is so loud. Astral came out to look at it and the guy said it sounded fine to him [emoji15] He did pull it apart and check the bearings and o rings. All was fine so now I am looking for something quieter. From what I have seen so far, the quiet ones aren’t that quiet. Not like our variable speed pump on low. Our e230 is apparently 60db and the quiet ones 54-56db so I don’t think there’s not much difference really. Let me know if you have any luck.

I was googling the same thing last night! Our heat pump was installed with an astral E230 boost pump but it is so loud. Astral came out to look at it and the guy said it sounded fine to him [emoji15] He did pull it apart and check the bearings and o rings. All was fine so now I am looking for something quieter. From what I have seen so far, the quiet ones aren’t that quiet. Not like our variable speed pump on low. Our e230 is apparently 60db and the quiet ones 54-56db so I don’t think there’s not much difference really. Let me know if you have any luck.

maybe i will have to look at variable , do you need to change filter or anything to still get skimming filtering ability on low or just plug and play? Im assuming with a robot hopefully i just need to skim on low speed during the day maybe?

Most pumps are very similar in design around the wet end.

Majority of noise is produced by the water flowing through the pump in conjunction withe overall rpm the impeller is running at ie. not necessarily the motor itself.

At higher rpms most pumps are noisy...not a lot can be done unless some new type of wet end is developed to minise noise without hurting flow figures too much.

Only reason VS pumps can be quiet is simply because you can dial their rpm and low rate down. At high rpms they are not all that different to other pumps.

One option is maybe to opt for a large, say 2HP VS pump but run it at low rpms.

With the larger capacity pump, you can still achieve a relatively large flow rate but at lower RPMs due to the larger impeller. This would be quieter than running a smaller pump at higher rpm to achieve the same flow.

Majority of noise is produced by the water flowing through the pump in conjunction withe overall rpm the impeller is running at ie. not necessarily the motor itself.

At higher rpms most pumps are noisy...not a lot can be done unless some new type of wet end is developed to minise noise without hurting flow figures too much.

Only reason VS pumps can be quiet is simply because you can dial their rpm and low rate down. At high rpms they are not all that different to other pumps.

With the larger capacity pump, you can still achieve a relatively large flow rate but at lower RPMs due to the larger impeller. This would be quieter than running a smaller pump at higher rpm to achieve the same flow.

Agreed. With our e230 though it is definitely motor noise, although the water noise is not helping. Hoping ours is in part due to the tight squeeze against the back wall and once that’s rectified it won’t be as bad. For us we won’t be able to fit a vs pump in its place, so that is out. We are looking into a custom made ventilated, acoustic enclosure. Not easy to find companies to quote but likely in the 3-5K range. We aren’t bothered by the noise but our neighbours probably are, although they haven’t said anything yet. As it’s warming up it is running much less lately.

A pump needs to be matched to the filter flow rate. Even a VS pump inevitably will be used at full rate by the homeowner to force water through the filter too fast......certainly inefficient and potentially damaging.

For an 18K pool, A 1 HP pump is perfectly adequate to keep your pool crystal clear. Find the flow rate on your filter and size your pump to stay below that flow rate. A VS pump will ALWAYS be quieter at low speeds than a single speed, but don't overpower your filter by pushing a 2 HP flow through the system.

A pump needs to be matched to the filter flow rate. Even a VS pump inevitably will be used at full rate by the homeowner to force water through the filter too fast......certainly inefficient and potentially damaging.

Our pump runs independently to the filter. We have our vs pump for the pool and then this (horrible) pump for the heat pump which is a seperate system. I’m matching flow rates when I’m looking at comparative product, but as far as I know there’s nothing else I need to look for from a technical aspect.

For an 18K pool, A 1 HP pump is perfectly adequate to keep your pool crystal clear. Find the flow rate on your filter and size your pump to stay below that flow rate. A VS pump will ALWAYS be quieter at low speeds than a single speed, but don't overpower your filter by pushing a 2 HP flow through the system.

Yes there is always the inherent danger of overpowering a filter if the pump is not setup correctly.

However some/many? pumps these days can be programmed to a particular max speed (eg 600 to 1000 RPM) and they will not exceed this speed even when priming.

So a user could purchase an oversized pump but program it so that it will always run at very low rpm's (much lower than a smaller pump ie less noise) yet still maintain enough flow rate to ensure flow sensors and the like still operate reliably.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
However some pumps these days can be programmed to a particular max speed and they will not exceed this speed even when priming.
There is no question they can be made self-limiting, but there is also little doubt no red-blooded (uninformed) American or Australian pool owner will hesitate to put that new pump on "blaster mode" so he can get some real cleaning done!

Over-matched filters being damaged I believe will become more commonplace with the advent of VS pumps. If you buy a 4 HP VS beauty, the tendency will be to use it

inlike the sound of this . Any idea looking at the pumps I have what size vs I’d need to use to get similar flow at low speed ?

- - - Updated - - -

there are no stickers on my sand filter , it’s pretty old ??

Any idea looking at the pumps I have what size vs I’d need to use to get similar flow at low speed ?

You would have to compare the pressure head Vs flow curves that are usually supplied by the manufacturer.

Below is one for an older Astral pump.

*Note that these curves are usually for a pump running into no restriction but at least you can compare pumps.

5iTqtE.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.