Quickest/Easiest way to get A LOT of leaves out?

May 26, 2013
Ooltewah, TN
Does anyone know if there are commercial pumps that can suck leaves off the bottom of a pool . I have about a foot of leaves covering the bottom of my 20,000 gal fiberglass pool. The manufacture (Sun Pools of Florida) says the pool is likely to crack if I drain it all the way.

Does any know how far I can safely drain it? I'm waiting for an answer from Sun Pools, but that could take a long time.

Where are you located? Do you know how high your water table is? Have you had a lot of rain lately?

Sorry for more questions than answers but all of this will help us dial in what you need to do and how to keep the pool safe.

For right now I would start using a deep leaf net and start scooping. Now here is a "tool" I LOVE for getting out large amounts of leaves:

It does add water to your pool so you will need to be ready to drain it a bit each time you use it.

Reactions: PoolGate
Get a pool leaf rake and start netting them out. It should not take more than a couple hours.
Yes, it might not take as long as you think. I've gone out after big wind/rain storms, and at first look, just getting the pool filled in seems easier than cleaning it out, but ten minutes later, it starts looking a lot better. Once you get going, you may be surprised, too. Also you can develop a technique where you slide the edge of the rake/bag toward the leaves, then stop momentarily to let the current you created lift the leaves off the bottom, then push forward again to scoop them into the bag. I've been most recently using this "skimmer net leaf rake" on a standard adjustable pole.
The net is close the the right compromise of stiffness and flexibility for the technique I mentioned above.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.