Riverside, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
My spa used to "blow air" when the pool filter was running. It was pretty and I really wish it did it now that it's summer! I have one pump and can only run spa or pool, they cannot run together. Once I started using spa diverter valve to stop spa spillover while running at low pump speed, it seems like it affected spa ability to "blow air".

Apologies if "blow air" isn't accurate. The character of the agitation is much different than running the spa... it's almost like a soft fountain.
Anyone who can steer me in the right direction greatly appreciated.

You need to run the pump at a higher rate for the air to get pulled into the spa returns. That will significantly drive up your pH.

You need to run the pump at a higher rate for the air to get pulled into the spa returns. That will significantly drive up your pH.
Ok. But I already run at 3450 rpm an hour a day and I don't get anything. Does that mean I would have to run at 3450 for much longer to achieve? Like 8-10 hours?

With all water being returned to the spa at full speed there is no air in the spa returns?

BTW.... I saved a ton of money on my electric bill this past month going 24/7 @ 1200rpm and 1hr @ 3450rpm to rotate spa water... Thanks to everyone for that!

There is an air inlet pipe somewhere for your spa. Could be at the equipment pad, near the spa, or some have little inlets around the spa with adjustable caps on them to adjust how much air gets in. See if you find anything like that.

Not finding anything other than basic jets in spa. Here's a pic of equipment. You can see the air intake for spa @ bottom left. The equipment is within 15 feet of spa. Thanks for your help on this!

So you go into pool mode the automated valve turns 180 deg to shut down the pool returns and the pump ramps up to a higher rpm. Do you hear or feel suction of air at the air inlet pipe?

So you go into pool mode the automated valve turns 180 deg to shut down the pool returns and the pump ramps up to a higher rpm. Do you hear or feel suction of air at the air inlet pipe?
When I go from pool mode to spa mode, the valves both turn 180 deg to shut down pool returns and pump ramps up to 3450rpm spa speed. I hear the air intake and no problems with jetting when in spa mode. But when I go to back to pool mode valves return 180 deg as pictured. No air intake noticed, no suction on my hand and only very light bubbling in spa water. If I were to grab a straw and blow bubbles it would be more noticeable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey Marty... No luck on this? I guess I'll call the contractor and see if they have an explanation.

It is working properly. You will not get air into the return in pool mode.
I'm probably not explaining it properly. The contractor set it up so that when in pool mode the spa "lightly bubbles" out of top three jets (spa has total of six), and it's different than running in spa mode. Feature worked for a long time but when I stopped running 8-10 hours a day at 3450rpm it seems the feature disappeared. Thanks for your help.

Right, you need to run at a very high speed to get air to be pulled in to the Hartford loop for the spa. In your 'pool mode', only a portion of the water is going to those spa jets, and it will take some time to clear the Hartford Loop. If you go back to running your VS pump at full speed for the entire pool mode cycle, you will eventually see some bubbles.

Extended operation of a VS pump will dramatically effect its life span.

Right, you need to run at a very high speed to get air to be pulled in to the Hartford loop for the spa. In your 'pool mode', only a portion of the water is going to those spa jets, and it will take some time to clear the Hartford Loop. If you go back to running your VS pump at full speed for the entire pool mode cycle, you will eventually see some bubbles.

Yup. Ran it at 3000 for about six hours yesterday. Today when clean cycle (3450) started, I got the bubbles again. I was so excited I took a 10sec video for future reference but can’t upload. Thanks for the help!

Uploaded it to YouTube. Also found the construction picture which detailed two Hartford loops built into spa wall. No check valve but at least 4" above line so hopefully all is well there. Thanks again Marty!

Spa Bubbles

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.