Quick help!

Cphats

Aug 20, 2020
Hawthorne, NJ
I originally posted this in my build thread, but I think it got buried. If anyone has any insight on a shallow end automatic pool cover box and safety, please let me know. Thanks!
Hi everyone! I have a hail mary help question. Not sure if I should start a new thread for better response, but will try here. Pool got delivered on Tuesday. Builder forgot to update skimmer location once we added the auto cover (in April, 4 months after initial order, but still plenty of time to update before delivery). Latham had cut and installed skimmer in the deep end, right where the auto cover box was supposed to go. Latham says they could come change it, but it'd be at least 6 weeks (and no other work could progress during that time). Builder suggested something like the attached picture, but we would get cast concrete (from Federal Stone, to match our coping) to go around the skimmer access hole. It's unclear how much longer this would take. The other possibility would be to place the cover box in the shallow end. Builder is hesitant to do this b/c it will get more foot traffic therefore more risk of damage/shifting/injury liability (the cover box will be beneath a diamond plate or stainless steel tray he was creating to hold the coping stones and one holland paver- see the inspiration picture from Federal's instagram in post above). The other option is to scrap the cover. That's easy, but the main reason we went with it was for safety belt and suspenders. We picked the location of our fence and gates thinking that we would have that cover. Without it, we will need to get a removable safety fence to more closely surround pool. Not ideal and not what we wanted (though I'm acknowledging it's a first world problem). What do you guys think about the shallow end option? Is it really a safety concern? They will be completely hiding the leading edge of the cover under the coping when it is open. If it is a concern, would you guys sacrifice the aesthetics (like the attached), or would you just scrap it and settle for a safety fence? I apparently need to give him an answer by 4pm EST today in order to prevent further delays. Thank you in advance!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• pool cover sample.jpg
    pool cover sample.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 20
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.