Questions regarding adding calcium to pool

gwtw

Apr 23, 2018
Kentucky
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My CH level is only 100 according to my K-2006 test kit. I have an older fiberglass pool with water line tile so it looks like I need to increase it to 220 to protect my tile grout according to information on this site. Before I add this to my pool, I have some questions that I was hoping someone on here could answer for me.
1. I have been comparing prices locally and Leslie's has the cheapest price since I have a coupon. I couldn't tell by looking at the label of their Hardness Plus if this was Calcium Chloride Dihydrate or just Calcium Chloride. Does anyone know which type of calcium this product is?
2. Since I'm going to need to add a lot of this to my pool, should I sprinkle it along the deep end and brush the pool afterwards, or do I need to put some in a bucket and pour it around the pool, even though it will get hot while doing so? Since I'm going to need approximately 12-17 pounds of it (depending on which type it is), I was advised by the pool store to only apply approximately 5 pounds each day to prevent cloudiness so I think that is what I'm going to do since my water is crystal clear now and I want it to stay that way.
3. Do I need to turn off my SWG before adding this product, and how long would I need to keep it off after applying it?
4. Do we need to wait to swim for any length of time after adding it?

I'd like to thank everyone on here again for all of the helpful advice you have given me over the past few weeks. The algae is gone, my water is crystal clear, and my SWG is working great so I no longer have to add liquid chlorine. Now that I have an accurate test and have learned more about pool maintenance, I'm going to monitor my pool water daily so I hopefully won't have any more algae outbreaks this summer.

Ask them. They do not say on their website.
Other option is to look for De-icer. Might not be readily available this time of year though!

Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool. In batches is a good idea.

I would not be running the SWCG when adding it, but you can turn it back on shortly after.

No need to wait to swim.

I ordered 2 buckets of the below (50lbs total). It raised me from 200ish to 350. The first I pre-mixed in a 5 gallon bucket. DO NOT put your hand in the water it will burn you (heat burn) don't ask me how I know. The 2nd bucket I just dumped in off the end of the diving board. Neither time did I turn off the SWCG but I did crank the pump up to full speed to circulate the water better.

Before you add it, test again and use the speedstir. I was testing without and I think my tests were too low.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J7L46FI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the advice everyone. The manager at the pool store had no idea what form of calcium was in their Hardness Plus, so I'm glad to know what type of calcium is in there so I can figure out how much I need to add. Looks like I need less than the amount they recommended to me, so you guys have saved me some money once again! Last week, when I went in there to get some liquid stabilizer, an employee told me that I shouldn't be putting bleach in my pool, so I no longer trust any advice that they give me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.