Questions Re: CYA, SWG, SLAM

Jun 17, 2016
Mandeville, LA
Hi, just began a slam and have a question about the proper CYA level for my saltwater pool. When I started, CYA was very low. I raised it to 35 where it is now.
The SLAM chart for SWG shows a minimum CYA of 60 but says "*Not Recommended"; however the manual that came with the Circupool RJ states that ideal CYA is 30-60 ppm.
Any idea which I should follow? Also given that I am presently SLAMing.
Thanks!

Hi, just began a slam and have a question about the proper CYA level for my saltwater pool. When I started, CYA was very low. I raised it to 35 where it is now.
The SLAM chart for SWG shows a minimum CYA of 60 but says "*Not Recommended"; however the manual that came with the Circupool RJ states that ideal CYA is 30-60 ppm.
Any idea which I should follow? Also given that I am presently SLAMing.
Thanks!
What’s the reason for slamming right now? The higher your CYA level, the more chlorine you need to accomplish the goals of the SLAM (to get rid of algae). That’s why higher CYA levels are not recommended.

When you are following the SLAM Process, your pool is not using the SWCG to maintain FC in your pool water. So you follow the Liquid Chlorine chart. Once the SLAM is complete, you follow the SWCG chart, and then raise your CYA to 60-80 ppm for maintenance.

Reactions: brettduke
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.