Questions on filter pressure and cleaning

pisstol27

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2012
Smithtown, NY (Long Island)
I have a DE filter that is only a few years old. My pool is a swamp each year when I open it so I have to backwash frequently in the first week or so until the water is clear, usually going through two 25lb bags of DE in that span. The starting pressure of the filter when the water is clean and the pump is on 3,000 RPMs is less than 2psi. I have found that the pressure increases to 4psi about a week's after backwashing. Once it gets to 4psi, my heater gives me a FLO error which means its not getting a strong enough water flow. I don't remember the pressure increasing so quickly in past years so I am wondering if my filter has too much DE clogged in it. The pool is clean and does not get a lot of debris in it on a daily basis (after pollen season is over). I am contemplating draining the filter out and giving it a thorough cleaning. Does anyone have this issue and have you gone through the effort of draining and cleaning the filter.

4psi is really low, that's odd that your heater is throwing an error. Do you have pictures of your pool equipment you can post? How much DE did you put in after you cleaned the filter?

Hi Jim/Cwiggs,
I am not sure what you meant by "Your heater should not have any DE in it.."
I did do an OCLT and loss less than 0.5ppm. My PH has been steady at 7.6 and my CYA is 60. I add about 1/2 gallon of liquid chlorine a day, which is normal for me. My morning reading is typically between 2 and 2.5ppm before adding the chlorine. The water really does look crystal clear so that combined with the OCTL and steady Chlorine levels makes me think its not algae. I did just disassemble and clean the filter today so I am going to see if the behavior changes. If it persists I will try the recirculate tip.

I have the DE scoop so I add 7 scoops at the start of the year and about 5.5 (80%) after each backwash.

If you passed the OCLT and your water looks good I wouldn't think there was algae, or you needed to SLAM, buttt...

my CYA is 60
My morning reading is typically between 2 and 2.5ppm before adding the chlorine.
If your CYA is 60 and you use bleach/LC to chlorinate, 2.5 is way too low. The FC/CYA Levels says to never go below 5ppm. If you are frequently below 5ppm, you probably have algae somewhere, even if you can't see it.

But I agree with Jim, put the MPV in the recirculate mode which will by-pass the filter and see if the heater works. If it works with lower PSI you know something in the filter is restricting the flow.

A 2PSI pressure when the pump is running at 3000 RPM, does not at all sound correct to me.

I have three pools, two of which have DE filters "without" MPV valves... At about 1500 RPM their filter pressure is about 2 or 3 lbs. when clean, and I don't have a heater. Both of my DE filters are Hayward, one is identical to yours, 60 sq. ft. and the other is a 48 sq ft. model.. Your plumbing could not be any simpler than mine, just a SWCG and Jandy valve between the filter and the pool. And.. removing the MPV cut my clean pressure in half..

So my experience says that if your gauge reads 2 lbs. at 3000 RPM plus a heater that it just does not "smell" right to me.

I would suspect that the gauge is bad or the tiny hole that feeds the gauge is plugged. Has it always been that way?

I have never seen or heard of a DE filter running that low of a pressure unless the pump was running at a low RPM.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Cwiggs

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.