Questions on closing my AGP

Aug 15, 2018
Houston/Texas
Hello,
Im in Houston Tx and although we do not get snow here it has been getting below freezing the past couple of years. So with a setup like this how would I go about getting this baby closed as I do not want to continue to add chlorine all winter long (Salt cell bad). I do not have the plugs or the door for the skimmer and return lines as Im not sure which ones to purchase, this is the 1st year with this pool and I want to make sure I do this right and that if it is really necessary to do the drain below the lines. I bought a winter cover and understand that I need to get the chlorine up. I would want to do this in the next couple of days unless anyone can give me better advice on what to do with the pool for this upcoming unpredictable Houston winter season.

M2kdxni.jpg

nadQ3b7.jpg

jUGsjAx.jpg

Last edited:
Me personally, I'd leave it up & running. Chlorine use will drop dramatically in the next few weeks. From the end of this month through Feb you might add a 1/4 cup of bleach every day or two if that. An occasional scoop of anything that may have fallen into the water, and that's about it. On those unusual freeze warning nights/mornings, simply ensure the water is moving so nothing stops long enough to freeze.

That said, if you really want to shut it down, you'll want to disconnect the pump and drain the filter. You can disconnect the plumbing at the bottom of the skimmer and at the return lines to allow for any potential expanding/freezing water. Colder areas disconnect their SWG as well, but not so sure you would need to do that around our areas. More on the Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool page.

Me personally, I'd leave it up & running. Chlorine use will drop dramatically in the next few weeks. From the end of this month through Feb you might add a 1/4 cup of bleach every day or two if that. An occasional scoop of anything that may have fallen into the water, and that's about it. On those unusual freeze warning nights/mornings, simply ensure the water is moving so nothing stops long enough to freeze.

That said, if you really want to shut it down, you'll want to disconnect the pump and drain the filter. You can disconnect the plumbing at the bottom of the skimmer and at the return lines to allow for any potential expanding/freezing water. Colder areas disconnect their SWG as well, but not so sure you would need to do that around our areas. More on the Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool page.

Thanks for the reply, should I throw the cover on if I do keep it up this winter? Also how long should it run per day, obliviously make sure it’s on when the freezing is expected..Any specific target TC I should hit when I throw the cover up? Or would you leave the pool uncovered the whole time?

Thabks,
Eddie

For the FC level, always refer to the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. You'll find as our water temps continue to drop, FC consumption will slow dramatically. You may only need to check/add chlorine every 2-3 days. You'll see a pattern in your pool and can adjust accordingly. If you are in an area with lots of trees, leaves, or debris, you can use a cover if you wish as long as it isn't a hassle for you to get to the water or to check things. With the sun angle lower and daylight hours reduced, it won't have much impact on saving chlorine like it might in the summer. My pool is never covered. We get winter winds and stuff that blow things into the water, so I have to sweep/scoop occasionally is all. The cold water is your pool's best friend to slow activity. As for pump run time, once the water stays close to 60 or below, you'll find you may only need to run the pump a few minuets each day just to move things around or when adding bleach/acid. That's it. Very minimal.

Winter is usually quite easy for us, however the one thing we've learned in areas like ours is to have a plan B. So if/when we do have an unusual hard drop in temps for a day or two like last winter, make sure the pool water is always moving through the lines to prevent freezing. In addition, consider having a tarp/plastic available in case you need to cover the equipment pad, or at least exposed pipes, filter, and motor from harsh freezing rain. On occasion, there can be a power interruption effecting water flow, so those products come in handy. Hope that helps.

For the FC level, always refer to the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. You'll find as our water temps continue to drop, FC consumption will slow dramatically. You may only need to check/add chlorine every 2-3 days. You'll see a pattern in your pool and can adjust accordingly. If you are in an area with lots of trees, leaves, or debris, you can use a cover if you wish as long as it isn't a hassle for you to get to the water or to check things. With the sun angle lower and daylight hours reduced, it won't have much impact on saving chlorine like it might in the summer. My pool is never covered. We get winter winds and stuff that blow things into the water, so I have to sweep/scoop occasionally is all. The cold water is your pool's best friend to slow activity. As for pump run time, once the water stays close to 60 or below, you'll find you may only need to run the pump a few minuets each day just to move things around or when adding bleach/acid. That's it. Very minimal.

Winter is usually quite easy for us, however the one thing we've learned in areas like ours is to have a plan B. So if/when we do have an unusual hard drop in temps for a day or two like last winter, make sure the pool water is always moving through the lines to prevent freezing. In addition, consider having a tarp/plastic available in case you need to cover the equipment pad, or at least exposed pipes, filter, and motor from harsh freezing rain. On occasion, there can be a power interruption effecting water flow, so those products come in handy. Hope that helps.

Helps tremendously thanks!

Eddie

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.