SW PA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I'm about to embark on my first year of winterization. I have a mesh safety cover so my pool is constantly taking on water. I have a gizmo in my pool skimmer n my returns are plugged. I just need to know for those of us who freeze solid, do I have to worry about water collecting in my skimmer? My guy poured antifreeze in the skimmer box after the gizmo was put in. I texted him for guidance n he said as long as water doesn't get above the skimmer box, I'm fine. I just need to know, should I take any out. Pics of current water level.

Attachments

• 20211118_080335.jpg
    20211118_080335.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 35
  • 20211118_080421.jpg
    20211118_080421.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: Leebo
I thought people generally lowered the water level to below the skimmer box. Or is fiberglass a different consideration?

I know that I have to be very cognizant about how much water I can take out because I could inadvertently float my pool and destroy it. My builder just got back to me via text n told me that I'm ok where I am on water level. I'm just trying to be proactive during our harsh winters.

Casey:

I have a fiberglass pool as well. I get it closed by a local place - pipe insurance I call it. They drain to below the returns (so about a foot lower than the skimmer). The use antifreeze in the skimmer lines and put the nearly empty bottle of what is left into the skimmer itself to act as a shock absorber once I get water in the skimmer after rain and snow. I used to use a gizmo, but that thing always leaked, so they started using a rubber plug with a wing nut. So far so good.

Reactions: Casey
Casey:

I have a fiberglass pool as well. I get it closed by a local place - pipe insurance I call it. They drain to below the returns (so about a foot lower than the skimmer). The use antifreeze in the skimmer lines and put the nearly empty bottle of what is left into the skimmer itself to act as a shock absorber once I get water in the skimmer after rain and snow. I used to use a gizmo, but that thing always leaked, so they started using a rubber plug with a wing nut. So far so good.
Thanks for replying. Do you have a tanning ledge? I do. I was told not to drain the ledge so going a ft below my returns would expose the whole ledge and I can't do that. My ledge measures 16'widex8'long and the steps are centered to walk into the pool.

You can see my return on the ledge n how my steps are. I have to keep it covered with water. We drained right below the skimmer n I still had water on my ledge with just capping the return lines and using a jug of antifreeze in every return line, the slide line and skimmer line.

Attachments

• 20211020_114956.jpg
    20211020_114956.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20211020_112449.jpg
    20211020_112449.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20211019_190522.jpg
    20211019_190522.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 16
Thanks for replying. Do you have a tanning ledge? I do. I was told not to drain the ledge so going a ft below my returns would expose the whole ledge and I can't do that. My ledge measures 16'widex8'long and the steps are centered to walk into the pool.
I do not and that makes your situation different from mine. Ugh, I wish I had an answer for you. Knowing you have a tanning ledge, I think you are fine as is.

I did speak with my builder and he said I'm fine for now. Just don't let water rise above the top of skimmer. I'm going to recheck it before a big freeze n drain some water before it freezes solid. We should get some snow this year. I'm still learning this in ground pool stuff n just wanting to protect my investment.

I don't like seeing that much water in a skimmer and just depending on that small gizmo to collapse and make room for ice expansion. I fill the skimmer throat and bowl with foam. Pool noodles can be cut to different lengths and shapes to completely fill the inside of the skimmer and throat . Done correctly there will be only enough room for maybe a cup full of water which over that area will cause no expansion damage. Some manufactures actually sell foam inserts that fit in the skimmer body and another piece slides in the throat from the pool side locking into the main body piece. That then will keep everything down and will not float up pushing the lid open so no weight sitting on top needed. As mentioned above rubber plug replaces the gizmo.
BUT, that said, your "guy" should know your pool and the area and if he is going to be around come spring, go with his word.

Ice only expands over water by 10% and the Gizzmo crush area should be all you need but for extra security do what Sammy suggested and put Pool noodles cut to different lengths and shapes to completely fill the inside of the skimmer and throat .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ice only expands over water by 10% and the Gizzmo crush area should be all you need but for extra security do what Sammy suggested and put Pool noodles cut to different lengths and shapes to completely fill the inside of the skimmer and throat .
I'll go cut up a noodle later today n get it in there. Thanks guys.

My fiberglass pool has been closed professionally since 2019. Water level has been right at the middle of the skimmer. Elbows and gizmos added to the two returns. Gizmo added to the skimmer. One gallon of antifreeze added to each of those three lines after they are blown out by the cyclone. I have experienced no issues. I have a mesh cover so I do monitor the water level and will pump out to lower if need be. With a mesh cover you don’t want to lower the water too much as it will support the weight of the snow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.