Questions for Dolphin Robot Cleaner Owners

My automation mode (using a Lutron smart switch controlling a GFCI receptacle), works great. No problems at all.
And the beauty is that anytime I want to turn on my Maytronics Robot outside of it's normal schedule, I just tell Alexa to do it. Doesn't get any easier than that.
r.

5D211AC3-C222-45D0-825B-58C097ABC4D3_1_105_c.jpeg

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hi - here are some tips if you have not yet made purchase:

- do not get swivel cable if you can help it. When I needed a new cable, I switched to that from non-swivel and it constantly lost its power connection. Replacing with non-swivel solved that issue.
- do not pay extra to steer it via app. I find app useless for our model (A30i), you may as well be controlling a rover on the moon for the input delay via bluetooth.
- this thing cleans awesome and would buy again 100% if I couldn't service it
- Marina Pools might not be as responsive as you would like, but they stand behind their stuff (or bill it back to Maytronics). When the new swivel cable didn't work, I sent it back at no charge without hassle.
- get one with the extra-fine filter if you have a pool with rock waterfalls (like ours), it picks up that erosion dust even more efficiently than the pool filter.
- they will tell you it has anti-tangle technology etc etc. basically for ours, you get a few loops for every cycle, just spin the unit around counter-clockwise 5-6 times when you drop in pool after cleaning skimmer basket and you are golden.

I just had to replace some gears in mine which gave it new life, will post on its own thread as an FYI to others

Reactions: Mdragger88
I bought a S300i about 6-7 years ago. Loved it. When it failed I bought the S200 as opposed to spending $350 to repair. As much of a gadget-lover as I am, I'm firmly in the keep it simple school with pool robots. There is genuinely nothing the more expensive model did that my $650 S200 can't do. Mapping, bluetooth remote (used it maybe three times), scheduling - all unnecessary from my perspective. I want large capacity and reliability. And when the S200 fails, I'll buy the equivalent.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
That's kinda what I thought, but to cover the pool in 2 hours, I would think it would "learn" the pool in some way other than just random patterns. I had heard it relearns it each time it is powered up. I'm trying to manage my expectations of how it works.
My 2 yr old S200 gets around most of the pool but seems to favor a few spots to revisit. It makes a valient effort to climb 2 steps and has only gotten stuck twice. Fun to watch.
If there is a layer of algae on the floor, you can watch it's tracks until water has been swirled enough to make it all invisible. My darker pebbles don't allow me to see the cleaning.
Now in summer swimming temps, I am running it every few days.

Hey all, just dropped my Dolphin Premier in the pool for the first time, thing is kind of fun to watch trucking around the bottom and sides. One issue/question: the clean filter (I have the bag filter in now) light comes on after only 30 mins or so and when I pull the unit out to clean it there is not a lot in there...some sand, and generally dirt and stuff but it is no where close to full and at this rate I'll have to clean it 5 times per cycle, which is unacceptable. I'm basically ignoring the light for now, any suggestions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have an S400, this is my first Maytronics Dolphin which I purchased last year in May maybe June. The first one I received kept getting stuck on a swim-out seat by a small waterfall. I would balance itself on the edge and would stay there. Called the store of purchase I assumed they called Maytronics and exchanged it. so far this IBOT has worked great. The app doesn't always communicate but I can work around that. Before this BOT cleaner, I had used pressure and numerous suction cleaners including the manual vacuum head, hose, and pole. I have a lot of leaves in the bottom of my pool from a 15ft Bay-Leaf tree that is 7 feet from the pool. That tree will be cut down this spring. So far it is a great investment.

Hi All! We will be opening our Dophin 30i this week and using it for the first time. It will be 28 days since plaster this week.

Question - do y'all use the dolphin to clean the spa?

THanks!
If your spa is big enough to use your cleaner then go for it. I fun my spa water through the filter to the pool while netting the debris. The reverse pool back to spa.

Hey all, just dropped my Dolphin Premier in the pool for the first time, thing is kind of fun to watch trucking around the bottom and sides. One issue/question: the clean filter (I have the bag filter in now) light comes on after only 30 mins or so and when I pull the unit out to clean it there is not a lot in there...some sand, and generally dirt and stuff but it is no where close to full and at this rate I'll have to clean it 5 times per cycle, which is unacceptable. I'm basically ignoring the light for now, any suggestions?
My M500 used to do that, I too just ended up ignoring the light and after a while it quit doing it.

My automation mode (using a Lutron smart switch controlling a GFCI receptacle), works great. No problems at all.
And the beauty is that anytime I want to turn on my Maytronics Robot outside of it's normal schedule, I just tell Alexa to do it. Doesn't get any easier than that.
r.

View attachment 344913
So then your cleaner is stored in the water continuously?

So then your cleaner is stored in the water continuously?

Mine is, unless I’m cleaning it or having a party or something. The control box make sure to store out of the rain, it is not waterproof.

Mine too. I've only had it since September, but it's been in the pool since then other than while being emptied (it replaces a Polaris 280 that of course lived in the pool). Mainly for convenience because I can check the basket every few days when I'm out there, but I'll never remember to go out, set it up, start it, and come back later to remove it.

While I'm sure there are some things that can wear down more quickly in the water, there are also materials that wear down more quickly when exposed to air. Seals for example may be more affected by wet/dry cycles than constant wet -- or they may not be. Sitting in the bottom of the pool there isn't much that can disturb it (I don't mean while we're swimming); on the deck it would have to fend off wind, the dog or I kicking it when we go past, other animals and bugs, etc. It's not like taking a phone that's only designed for a brief dip and leaving it in -- the robot has to be able to handle being in the water banging around 2-4 hours/day, so another 20-22 static doesn't seem like a big stretch.

I mounted the control box way up under the overhang of my pumphouse so it's protected from rain; it's plugged into a Kasa outdoor WiFi plug for timer/manual running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.