Questions before opening pool ourselves for the first time

ba67

Oct 17, 2018
Southern Kentucky
We are going to open up the pool ourselves this weekend for the first time instead of paying a local pool company $250 to do it. I have watched several Youtube videos and read the information on this forum and it looks fairly simple to me. Before we start opening it, I have a few questions:

1. Does anything need to be done to our Hayward H200 gas heater before turning the pump on? Are there any switches that need to be turned on or any plugs that need to be reattached? I watched several Youtube videos on how to open up a pool and there was no mention on what needed to be done to the heater. I know that water flows through the heater, so I assume that it was winterized at closing by our pool pro but I'm not sure what he did to it.

2. Does anything need to be done to the salt water generator since the salt cell was not removed at closing? Is there a valve that was closed when the pool was winterized that needs to be adjusted before opening?

3. Does anything else need to be done other than the following: 1. remove mesh cover. 2. remove winterizing plugs from the returns and put eyeballs back in. 3. remove gizmo from the skimmer. 4. replace plugs on the pump and sand filter. 5. put pressure gauge back on the sand filter. 6. move valves to normal operating position. 7. add water to pump to prime it. 8. turn multiport valve to filter 9. turn pump on and pray that the pump works properly.

About your concerns:
1 - I don't have a heater, so others may have more specifics to say. But be sure to replace any drain plugs. Turn on gas and any breakers to the equipment. You can see more on the manual HERE. See Page 25 for the location of the drain valve.
2- For the SWG, just ensure it's turned on. Keep in mind if your water temp is still chilly (i.e. 55 or below) it may not want to operate. If that's the case, use liquid chlorine for now. Otherwise, once it's turned on it should start operating.
3 - You have the right concept in your steps above. Below is our opening page which might give you a few more pointers. Be sure to let the water mix for about 30 minutes before attempting a water sample for testing.

Reactions: ba67
I have found that taking off the front panel and checking / cleaning the burner area is a good idea. We have lots of wolf spiders around here, and they like to make webs inside there that can interfere with the gas flow to the burners, as well as shorting out the sparker that ignites the flame. Also, I would HIGHLY suggest clearing out any pine needles or other debris that may have fallen inside the heater before firing it up for the first time, because they can potentially cause a fire that could destroy your heater. It has been my experience that I usually have to turn on the gas shutoff and wait about 10 minutes before the heater will ignite reliably. Also, it is a good idea to test the calcium levels in your water and get them into an acceptable range before you run the heater. Too much calcium can cause deposits to form on the heat exchanger, and in extreme cases can even plug it up. Maintaining proper pH is also crucial because a pH that is too low can be very corrosive to hot metal ( i.e. your heat exchanger ). Finally, NEVER run your heater with bypass valves closed, if it has them, because it will burn up the heat exchanger. Some of them have a water flow detector that will prevent the burner from firing, but I am not sure that all of them do. Good luck!

Last edited:
Ah .. forgot to mention, if you have a mesh safety cover, after you take it off you will want to fully remove each of the hold-downs, clean the threads on them and also down in the holes with some kind of solvent (I used WD-40 ) then put some grease on the threads and screw them back in. This will prevent them from seizing and sticking.

We have a sand filter as well, and I'm assuming you've done this but wanted to point out the air release valve near the multi-port valve (not the same as the drain plug on the bottom). When you first run the system you want to have that valve open till you get a steady stream of water coming out of it. Then you can close it. I believe this is to expel the remaining air out of the filter so it operates properly.

This was our second summer with our pool, and first time opening it ourselves as well. My wife and I have never owned a pool before so we paid to have it opened last summer. It's been a learning curve for us but one we've enjoyed. Hope your enjoying your pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.