Questions and advice wanted to convert to Salt

Breeze3at

Aug 7, 2019
Middle Georgia
I’ve been a member of TFP since 2019 and never had to ask a question as I’ve been able to find my answers by reading through previous posts, knowledgeable answers and following them. This has provided clearer water and less expendature for me than in my previous 17 yrs. of ownership.

I now have questions that I would like advice with.

My pool is: 35,000 gal 20x40 vinyl liner, 44 gpm sand filter, I skimmer, 2 return jets, 1 ½” suction/return lines, 20 ft. of head, with 1hp motor.

I want to convert this pool to salt water with a SWG and a VSP. I currently have a Hayward pump with a Century 1 hp motor. No real problems beyond needing to buy a new pump motor about every 5 yrs. and cost of chemicals. (why is pumpmotor and pump used interchangeably on all things industry related, instead of “pump” or “motor”?). I would like to use my current Hayward “pump” (56J frame) for a TEFC VSP, 1 ½ hp motor instead of spending more for a pump & motor assembly. I’m considering a Pentair or Vgreen VSP (56J frame) and a Circupool SWG (undecided on model as yet).

1) Is there any disadvantage to mating this vsf motor with my current 5 year old (new impeller) Hayward pump?

2) Most SWG’s are listed by pool gal.size, but usually have northern and southern climate recommendations, which for southern are larger than the adv. size. My pool is at least partially shaded from noon to dark. The pool is only used by 2 people for a couple of hours on weekend days. Should I adhere to the larger recommendation? The pool is also open only from June until September and is covered for the rest of the year.

3) I see vsp is used for motors with 3 to 8 speeds. Are there operating costs or longevity benefits for more speeds?

4) Although my system is Hayward, I’m not considering Hayward due to initial and replacement parts cost. But, I can’t deny the attractiveness of having a local Hayward dealer with a decent inventory. How much should this weigh on my decisions?

5) I see that most pumps use the same design impeller as Hayward, but some Pentair use an open (?) vane impeller. Is there a pro/con to type of impeller?
Thank you forum members

Hey there Breeze3at, While I can't answer your pump questions, I'll tell you that its most prudent to get a SWG rated for 60,000 gallons for your pool. This will allow you to run it minimally and hopefully extend its lifespan. They do have posted lifespan in hours, usually 8-10,000 hours. My pool is 12k and my cell is rated for 36k, and the first cell lasted 9 years. That's a good run!

Check this place out for help and good prices- Some allow you to upgrade your cell size for only $1.
discountsaltpool.com

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Breeze3at
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.