Questions about shocking and others

Iwisher95

May 17, 2020
Stanford, IL
First time posting on TFP and a few questions that I've had come up over the last 2 years of having a pool.

Start off with how long after shocking pool does the cl return to normal levels? Based off the cya chart I shock to 16 ppm it seems to take a long time to settle back down. Cya is around 40.

2. Who decided trichlor shock was a good idea? Bought 3 bags by accident and don't care to run cya up.

3. Apparently in Illinois we have a Monsoon season have had 3" of rain in the last 24 hours and same last weekend, what is the best way to keep chemistry in check?

As of about an hour ago:
FC 14 (shocked last night)
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 100 ( working down started at 280)
CYA 30 ( was 40 yesterday)
As of last night pre shock and 3" of rain)
FC 3.5
CC 0
PH 7.0
TA 100
CYA 40

Hello and welcome! We don’t “shock” pools here - we follow a process called the SLAM Process to clear up problems. Otherwise you don’t need to peridically “shock” your pool so long as you keep your FC above minimum recommended levels.

We’re getting the same storm up here today and I’ve had to drain twice today. Just let it pass, check levels, and adjust when done. Not much else to do. Enjoy the free TA lowering. :)

1) How fast depends on the sun more than anything else. A couple days is usually all it takes. It's safe to swim in up to SLAM level.
2) Someone with an interest in selling pool chemicals. First they sell you "shock" then they sell you some more, then some other additive, and then they tell you that TDS is too high and you need to drain. And they sell you a startup kit for that fresh water that puts you right back on the merry-go-round.
3) Probably nothing. How deep is your pool? 48"? 3" is only 6%. You may not even be able to see a difference on TA or CH or CYA when you test. Raindrops impacting the surface can raise pH, though. As long as you're not in danger of overflowing, leave it alone and let it evaporate and things will be almost the same as before.

1) How fast depends on the sun more than anything else. A couple days is usually all it takes. It's safe to swim in up to SLAM level.
2) Someone with an interest in selling pool chemicals. First they sell you "shock" then they sell you some more, then some other additive, and then they tell you that TDS is too high and you need to drain. And they sell you a startup kit for that fresh water that puts you right back on the merry-go-round.
3) Probably nothing. How deep is your pool? 48"? 3" is only 6%. You may not even be able to see a difference on TA or CH or CYA when you test. Raindrops impacting the surface can raise pH, though. As long as you're not in danger of overflowing, leave it alone and let it evaporate and things will be almost the same as before.
Yep, 48" I just vac'd to waste since the it was up to the top of the skimmer and pouring out. Guess I should've thought about the ph as I've been lowering with acid and raising with aeration to get the ta down. And I usually use cal-hypo to slam (I still call it shocking even tho I follow the process) and I picked up 3 bags at farm and fleet without looking and seen that.

I've actually never stepped foot in a pool store and probably never will honestly. Don't care for sales pitches and being told things that don't matter, matter. Done a lot of reading on here and other forums and past knowledge of maintaining an indoor rec pool back in high school.

Hello and welcome! We don’t “shock” pools here - we follow a process called the SLAM Process to clear up problems. Otherwise you don’t need to peridically “shock” your pool so long as you keep your FC above minimum recommended levels.

We’re getting the same storm up here today and I’ve had to drain twice today. Just let it pass, check levels, and adjust when done. Not much else to do. Enjoy the free TA lowering. :)
I'm bad at terminology, I do follow slam process at least trying my best to. I'm still fighting off algea from my own mistakes while closing. And thank you for the response!!

Okay - your post made it seem like you were doing a one-time raising of your FC instead of maintaining FC at a level while it deals with your problem. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.