Question on winter maintenance in N Carolina

I live in Gastonia North Carolina and prefer to leave our pool opened. Our coldest month is Jan with avg high around 51 and avg low of 29 and avg snowfall 1". Granted, there are times its way above avg but not many days below avg. The last two winters here were really warm compared to past years. I would like to know what I need to do chemical wise if kept open. I do use a leaf cover until all the leaves fall then remove. I have a SWG so I want to make sure I do it the right way and prevent algae as much as possible. Thanks for any help.

How are you testing your pool water? Can you post a full set of test results?

Maintaining your pool water does not change much if left open over winter. You need to test FC and pH a couple times a week when the pool water is below 60F. Maintain your FC based on your CYA using the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. Keep your pH in the 7.2 to 7.8 range and monitor your CSI to be sure it does not go below -0.6 due to cold water.

Are you using the mineral cartridge in your Fusion 2? It is suggest to not use the minerals. Eventually your water will build up copper and you will need to drain to remove it. You normally will find out when you have too much copper when you get stains on plaster or blonde hair and finger nails turn green.

Take care.

here are my latest test numbers - FC 1.0 CC - 2.5 PH - 7.4 TA - 100 CH - 150 CYA - below 30 Salt - 1700 Temp - 66

We usually turn our Fusion 2 down to 0% in order to stop the production. Please let me know what adjustments I need to make. I'm still a little new to this but is the best website ever. So much better than any pool store. Thanks for your help!

You will want to keep your FC at suggested levels.....maintain just as if it were Summer. Test just enough to keep things in range but you should still test (and clean and vacuum) just as always.

It would be nice if you got enough rain to drain off some water.......at 150, your CYA is too high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.