Question on LP to NG Conversion on RayPak/Rheem 406a

May 26, 2016
Oklahoma City
Hello gang,

I purchased a used Rheem/RayPak 406a pool heater that is set up for propane and I am wanting to convert to natural gas. I purchased the kit in the attached picture but I am not seeing a pressure regulator on my unit that matches any of the parts I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Conversion Kit.jpg
    Conversion Kit.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20220612_175029593.jpg
    PXL_20220612_175029593.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20220612_175745689.jpg
    PXL_20220612_175745689.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 5
Welcome to TFP.

What specific model number heater are you converting?

I suspect the kit you have is for a MV heater and you have a digital heater. For the digital heater you will need to replace the entire Burner Tray w/ Gas Valve NAT IID.

This is the gas valve and not a pressure regulator...

pxl_20220612_175029593-jpg.422728

The pressure regulator, if you need one, is not part of the heater and external to the heater on the gas piping to the heater.

Honeywell says: Natural to LP and LP to Natural conversion kits available for standard and slow opening gas valves.

Maybe @swamprat69 has experience with this.

Last edited:
@ajw22 Thanks for the reply. After more digging I see that I have a unit with electronic ignition and the conversion kit I purchased is for a unit with a millivolt gas valve. Do you or anyone else know if I can use my current valve for NG or will I need to replace it? If replace, would anyone happen to know the honeywell valve part number for a 406a heater? The pool supply houses want crazy prices and they always hide the part number LOL Thanks in advance!

@ajw22 Thanks for the reply. After more digging I see that I have a unit with electronic ignition and the conversion kit I purchased is for a unit with a millivolt gas valve.

Yup, that is what I suspected.

Do you or anyone else know if I can use my current valve for NG or will I need to replace it? If replace, would anyone happen to know the honeywell valve part number for a 406a heater? The pool supply houses want crazy prices and they always hide the part number LOL Thanks in advance!

Maybe @swamprat69 @1poolman1 @JamesW knows.

This Honeywell part, VR8345M4302, is virtually identical to what is installed in a RayPak. While it is always listed as a 300K btu valve, the label often says 400K (never could figure that out). Honeywell's information says that it can be used for both because it will come with an adapter/conversion for LPG (at least all the ones I have purchased in the past have come with it). A natural gas valve will allow too much LPG through.

This is also available for much less:

Honeywell 393691 LP Gas Valve Conversion Kit​

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.