Question on buying a new pump and sand filter

Jun 6, 2018
Parkersburg, WV
Hi.....haven't posted for awhile because sadly here in WV it's winter time but I'm thinking about buying a new pump and sand filter for the new swimming year and just had a few questions. I'm VERY new to the owning a pool world, last year being the first year and I asked alot of questions and got a lot of help so thought I would come back again with a few questions I have.

First quick question is when we covered up the pool this past fall I didn't realize it but the cover we used had a little tiny hole in it and some dirty water has gotten in the pool. I noticed it about a month after first covering it and to dip water out of it the water is clear but to look down into the water you can tell it's dirty so I'm sure it's all laying on the floor of the pool. Do you think when I open up my pool this spring that I will have to empty all the water out and start over? Will I have to SHOCK it? Or will I just have to wait and test it and then go from there?

Now the real question here is about buying a new pump and sand filter. The pool is my boyfriend's and I'm not 100% sure if it's a 15ft or 16ft but I believe it's one of the two and it's 3 1/2 ft deep. The sand filter and pump that I currently have my boyfriend bought used a couple years before and for some who might remember I had trouble with the psi never going over 2-4 so thought the gauge was broke so I bought a new one but even with the new one it never went above that so I decided I would see about maybe getting a whole new pump and filter system so I know what I'm working with. So I found what I think I want but I don't know anything at all about pumps and filter systems so I wanted to make sure it will work and work good with the size of pool that I have.

The information for the one that I am looking at is........

Hayward VL40T32S VL Series Above Ground Swimming Pool Sand Filter with Pump System
- 13"Sand Filter with 30 GPM Pump
- Easy To Install
- Ideal Replacement Filtration System for Soft-Sided, Above-Ground Pools
- 13-Inch Sand Filter with 30 GPM Pump
- Extend time between cleaning compared to standard cartridge filters provided with many soft-sided pools
- 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" hose adapters included
- Systems are designed for quick assembly and precise alignment of components

- Filter
- Holds 42 pounds of #20 silica sand
- Integrated pump base
- Multi-position top-mount valve provides maximum flow at low pressure drop
- Made with corrosion-proof, molded thermoplastic
- Control valve: 4 way, top mount valve with lever action handle
- Valve fastening: Flange clamp design

- Pump
- Incredibly quiet operation
- Performance matched to the filter for minimal energy consumption
- Clear cover lets you see when basket needs cleaning
- 115 Volt, 60 hz
- Part Number: VL40T32S

So does that all sound like it's big enough to run the pool that I have? Any suggestions or etc would be greatly appreciated!

Tamitha

Hello Tamitha,
Many pools gather some dirt on the bottom or get a bit cloudy over the winter. If it is just dirty water, then the filter should get it out fairly easily. If you open the pool while the water temps are still in the 60's degrees and before it turns green, then it should be fairly easy. If it does turn green, then you would need to follow the SLAM Process. Unless it is really green, you shouldn't have to dump the water and start over. But you will need patience until winter passes, will need to wait and will need to use that test kit when you open. We'll be here to help guide you if you need it.

If the equipment you are using is still performing properly, then I don't believe you need a new pump/filer. It looks like your major concern is the low pressure reading of the filter. I don't think this is the deciding factor in deciding on new equipment. If you have sufficient flow, a low pressure reading my just be normal for your setup. I would suggest waiting until you have the pool open and going and see if you have an issue with the filter not doing it's job properly. I would hate to see you spend the money on new equipment and not get any change in water quality.

But to answer your question, the pump/filter combo you picked out should be ok for the pool you have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.