Question for the guys who buried their chlorine tanks in 100F+ environments

runboy

Jun 26, 2018
Mesa/AZ
How much of a temperature drop do you experience in a sandy environment 4 feet below surface where it is 100F+ above? Or have you measured the temperature of your chlorine during the day when its 100F+ above?

I didn't have the option to dig down and I did a test over my first month with temperatures being around 100F (AZ AUG-SEP).

My Chlorine was exactly 10% (Measured) when I added it to the barrel. 30 days later it had dropped to 8.5%. Funny enough I had a bottle sitting in the garage and it dropped to 8% probably because my garage is hotter than outside. I can live with it, but still curious about what I'm missing out on. Has any of you with buried barrels in AZ done a similar test?

IMG_9397_zps1wwhtwxg.jpg

Do you have some kind of shade you use over the equipment so it never gets full sun? There are several different ways to do it.

I don't right now, but that is a project I am considering. Surprisingly my chlorine tank only gets full sun a very small portion of the day. The walls around my equipment pad are pretty high. I will probably start another tread to get inputs on various shade solutions that would work well for my pad

Burying you tanks is more about the benefits of the cooler temperatures below ground. Shade is obviously a big deal too and is an automatic benefit of putting your tanks underground.

IMG_9416_zpslayuuonb.jpg

IMG_9418_zpsmecii67l.jpg

IMG_9422_zpstupzxhyf.jpg

I never felt it was worth the effort to do more than just provide shade for the reservoir. Mine is in a shed close to the pump. I have a smaller pool and don't keep more than 5 gallons around.

I like that it is not buried because I can easily see the liquid level (frosty clear jug) plus I can easily take the jug out to clean or flush it. The jug is on a stand so I don't even have to bend over to refill the jug. I would think one would need to go further down than 48" down to get a significant temperature difference. Your needs may dictate different solutions than what works for me.

I just bought chlorine at Home Depot last night at it was dated less than 2 weeks ago. I buy 8 gallons at a time to get the quantity discount and keep the excess 4 gallons in my air conditioned laundry room.

In the summer here in AZ I use about 10 gallons of Chlorine a month, so the 15 gallon works well for me. Once a month refill with a little added buffer is acceptable to me.
My acid usage is quite a bit less, so that one I can refill every 6 months. I use 31.45% but dilute it with equal amounts water.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with the refilling. Quite a bit easier when not burried. Thanks for bringing that up. Hadn’t really thought that through.

I have a 30 gallon resevior under a shade tree with about 10-15 gallons at a time in it. Never have had a reason or noticed a need to bury it, it seems to be fine for the last couple years I have been doing it this way.Burying it may be abit overkill as it is easy to fill and clean out above ground. Good luck.

I see some poles with something like a shade sail over it. Easy and cheap to do! You could even put it at an angle from the high wall to the short wall.

Kim:kim:
Kim, I like your idea and the cheap 13x7 Costco Coolaroo would be perfect for the job. My only concern is that those cinderblock wall are not very strong, so I would be afraid of pulling down the neighbors wall in a Haboob :drown:
So the project probably needs some strong poles instead of using the walls by themselves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.