Question after gale force winds

NorCalX

Gold Supporter
Feb 3, 2011
Brentwood, CA
I'm in the first month of pool ownership so this is new to me.

Had some insane winds here in CA this weekend that left an absolute mess of things.

I was out skimming DURING the storm but barely made a dent.

Now that things have settled down the pool is filled with all the leaves from the entire neighborhood.

Skimmers were absolutely full and leaves even made it into the pump filter basket.

I cleaned those all out and have been in clean up mode since then.

I'm also running the robot non stop and emptying the bag as fast as it can fill.

The floor of my pool is still absolutely covered in leaves.

Any potential damage to the pump or filters I need to be cautious of?

Should I crank up the salt chlorine generation until I have everything out of the water?

Attachments

• After wind (1).jpg
    After wind (1).jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 23
  • After wind (2).jpg
    After wind (2).jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 23
I would get a large leak rake/skimmer and get as much as possible and clean baskets frequently. Over time these organics will break down in your pool and create their own problems. I just drag my green waste can by the pool and take the time to scoop out as much as possible.
I have a leaf rake I use with a deep pocket you can get at most places. It holds a lot of leaves and they don’t wash out easily as you move it around.

I’d shut off the robot until the big stuff is out.

• Love
Reactions: NorCalX
That really is not that bad. I get a lot worse amount of leaves in my pool when a big storm rolls through.

You need a good leaf rake like this - Blue Devil B4017 Leaf Rake - attached to a long pole and run it along the bottom of the pool to capture the leaves. Check your skimmers frequently and don’t run your robot too long without checking if it is full or clogged.

Just takes effort and patience to clean it up.

Your normal FC level will be fine.

Funny how a word changes things.

I was referring to my tool as a "net" and using it to get surface debris.

When you said "rake" and included the link I realized I already have a rake. But I wasn't USING it like a rake.

I was trying to avoid any "scraping" along the pebble finish.

I looked closer at my tool and saw the edge of the net had the scoop structure.

I went back to my pool with a different mindset and was able to rake up about 6 or 7 nets full...it made a HUGE difference.

Before that I was running the dolphin with the tiny basket (tiny in comparison to the rake).

Lesson learned!

Attachments

• After wind (4).jpg
    After wind (4).jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 12
  • After wind (3).jpg
    After wind (3).jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 12
Yup, push the flat edge horizontal across the pool floor and it picks up the leaves.

Same here. After 2 days without power, I was able to broom off and open the auto-cover and rake a ton of redwood leaves out of the water & add liquid chlorine. This was the worst wind incident in our 7 years of pool ownership. Hoping power is still on tomorrow so I can finish the job. Found a brand new stain I’ll have to tackle. Bleah.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.