Question about wiring a Pentair Intellibrite 5G pool lamp

Dec 21, 2017
Tucson, Arizona
We just had an Intellibrite120v lamp installed in an existing inground pool. It is a replacement for an old pool lamp that stopped working. The Intellibrite lamp was installed by a contractor while the pool was drained. He tested it on dry ground, and it it worked just fine. However after contractor left and I filled the pool, the lamp would not go on.

Let me explain the wiring situation.

Since our house was built in 1963, the circuits do not have a grounding wire. When we had the outlets upgraded, many GFCI outlets had to be installed. The pool lamp is now controlled by a GFCI switch (see below). You turn the lamp ON by pressing RESET and OFF by pressing TEST.
deadhead switch.jpg

When I attempt to turn the lamp on after the pool was filled, the RESET button pops right back out when I press it.

The contractor who installed the lamp warned me that the switch might be troublesome, and he suggested that we get an electrician to replace the GFCI switch with a normal two-pole switch and then replace the breaker that supplies the switch with a GFCI breaker. I'm having an electrician come tomorrow to do that.

Here's my question: Is this going to work? The Intellibrite Installation and User's Guide does not show this particular configuration. All it says is: "120 VAC pool/spa lights must have a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI), with an appropriately rated circuit breaker.

he suggested that we get an electrician to replace the GFCI switch with a normal two-pole switch and then replace the breaker that supplies the switch with a GFCI breaker. I'm having an electrician come tomorrow to do that.

Here's my question: Is this going to work? The Intellibrite Installation and User's Guide does not show this particular configuration. All it says is: "120 VAC pool/spa lights must have a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI), with an appropriately rated circuit breaker.

A switch and GFCI CB can work.

Your electrician will find out if you truly have a ground fault problem with the light installation or if it is a defective switch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.