Question about using Chlorine pucks

Sep 7, 2018
Kansas
I use liquid pool shock all summer, but I really don't want to waste it for the winter lay-up. When it starts to get too cold to swim and then while it's closed, is it okay to use pucks? I know this will raise the CYA, but will it diminish over the winter? I seem to always start out around 80 and it takes most of the summer to get to 50, so if it won't go away by spring then I don't want to use them. It's just that I have 2 buckets of tabs that I bought when I got this house, before I got on here and learned about the balance.

What is the brand of the puck you have? Does it say "Blue" on the label?

When it starts to get too cold to swim and then while it's closed, is it okay to use pucks?

Are you intending to keep the pucks in the pool while it is closed?

CYA may or may not degrade depending on the bacteria that gets into your pool during the winter.

CYA doesn't leave the water over winter unless you get Ammonia.
If your CYA is between 30-40ppm, it will be okay to use pucks for a couple of weeks. Once you get to 60ppm cya stop using them.
I would not recommend using pucks in a pool that has been closed for the winter as the water is not circulating and it will cause stains and even damage to your pool due to a drop in PH in spots where there's no circulation.

What is the brand of the puck you have? Does it say "Blue" on the label?

Are you intending to keep the pucks in the pool while it is closed?

CYA may or may not degrade depending on the bacteria that gets into your pool during the winter.
They are

Member's Mark Chlorinating Tablets​

bought at Sams club. Now a couple of years old as I bought 3 tubs but stopped using them after a couple of weeks and joining this group.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.