Question about return lines please

Laenini

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Brooklyn Park, MN
I need to do some partial water changes to correct a high CYA level. I’ve owned above ground pools in the past, but this pool is my first in ground. I have 3 return lines. One for the main drain, one for the shallow side skimmer, and one for the deep end skimmer.
The deep side skimmer valve is stuck in the half on position as the butterfly handle broke off this spring. Does that mean I can’t drain down beneath the skimmer level when doing my partial water change? My main drain works great, very high flow, so even if some air leaks from the deep side skimmer the pump shouldn’t run dry as the main drain will keep it going? Opinions? The cost of having someone come out to replace the broken valve is more than I can manage right now. We had a kitten who needed emergency vet care this weekend, it’s blown my budget right now paying the Vet ER.
thank you!

Most people that drain their pool use a sump pump. You can use your pump but I think once you are below that skimmer you are going to have issues losing prime. Perhaps put in the winterizing plug?

I want to use my pool pump to drain if at all possible because it’s drain is plumbed out to the storm sewer in the street. It discharges into the gutter, then runs into a drain maybe 10ft away. I know there Are ordinances regarding exactly how my city allows residents to drain pools. When backwashing or draining a bit before winter, that gush of water emerging from my lawn looks alarming to passerby’s and they have called in to the city to report a broken water main at my address. This prompts the water Dept to come visit me! When I tell them it was my pool discharge they have been A-OK with my plumbed to the street drain. I think they object to sending pool discharge down into the sanitary sewers, and anything hooked up to any drain in the house would go out via the sanitary sewer route, right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.