Question about pool slab addition and kool deck

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
We are almost to the end of our pool deck additions/renovation. We added on 3 separate concrete slabs to make our pool deck larger. Two of the 3 slabs had oklahoma stone laid on top and the 3rd section will have "kool deck" to match the older deck that it is adjacent to that had kool deck already. The contractor said that in order for the new slab (with the newer kool deck) to match the older deck, he would have to spray the kool deck on the new one let it dry, then come back and pressure wash the old deck, then come back with a colored sealant on both the old and the new parts so it will all match and be the same color.

I'm not familiar with any of this, so I was wondering if this Kahlua Cream (the sealant color we chose) sealant would be the right way in going about finishing the deck? From what I understand, this sealant seams like it would be painted/coated on the deck, but my original kool deck is very textured and I think that adding this sealant would take some of that texture away and make it overall a little more smooth because it would fill in a lot of the little dips. Would it be better if he just sprayed new kool deck on the entire deck (both the new and old portion) and not use this colored sealant? Our current kool deck now feels is like concrete and there is no coating or paint on it. Not sure if the colored sealant would be "taking a shortcut" as opposed to just spraying the entire deck again and not sure if you can spray over the original kool deck with another application of kool deck? I read somewheres that it has to be sprayed on freshly cured concrete in order for it to adhere properly.

Below is the sealant he plans on using, would this be ok?

http://www.sgm.cc/html_Pool/Contractors/decorative_concrete_finishes.html

What your contractor says is correct. If you want the colors to match it needs to be coated with the same color top coat as the new deck. If you have Kool Deck brand (Mortex) material on your current deck it may very slightly reduce the cooling effect, but it will seal the surface, make it much more durable and stain resistant. It will do almost nothing to affect the texture. The primary difference between Kool Deck and a textured acrylic coated surface is that Kool Deck is porous and acrylic is not. Both look alike and recoating a Kool Deck with acrylic is acceptable.

I have an acrylic textured coated deck. My neighbor has Kool Deck. I have reapplied color top coat twice in the 12 years it's been in place. The deck continues to look just like the day it was installed. My neighbor after several years coated his Kool Deck with the same acrylic color top coating that has always been on my deck. The deck looked fresh and new, the surface has held up (this was several years ago), no peeling or other issues. So I would agree with the contractor, that this would be the best way to go.

Reapplying color top coat is just part of regular routine maintenance and should be done every few years.

What your contractor says is correct. If you want the colors to match it needs to be coated with the same color top coat as the new deck. If you have Kool Deck brand (Mortex) material on your current deck it may very slightly reduce the cooling effect, but it will seal the surface, make it much more durable and stain resistant. It will do almost nothing to affect the texture. The primary difference between Kool Deck and a textured acrylic coated surface is that Kool Deck is porous and acrylic is not. Both look alike and recoating a Kool Deck with acrylic is acceptable.

I have an acrylic textured coated deck. My neighbor has Kool Deck. I have reapplied color top coat twice in the 12 years it's been in place. The deck continues to look just like the day it was installed. My neighbor after several years coated his Kool Deck with the same acrylic color top coating that has always been on my deck. The deck looked fresh and new, the surface has held up (this was several years ago), no peeling or other issues. So I would agree with the contractor, that this would be the best way to go.

Reapplying color top coat is just part of regular routine maintenance and should be done every few years.

Yes, he did mention that every 6-8 years I would need to reapply a colored sealant coat as routine maintenance to the deck. The pool if 8 years old, so that's about the right time frame. Do you use the SGM brand that is in the link I provided? Also, what is the best way to apply the the acrylic coating? Is this supposed to be sprayed on or do they roll it on with some sort of thick nap roller?

No, I didn't use that particular brand. Most of the textured acrylic coating systems are very similar and the products interchangable. You will find that even the colors may match. One brand I used called my color Sonoran Sand and another company called it Sonoran Tan, exact same color.

Applying a new color top coat is pretty easy. You just roll it on. I have a lot of decking around my pool and on my back patio and I can recoat everthing in a day with less than one 5 gallon bucket.

No, I didn't use that particular brand. Most of the textured acrylic coating systems are very similar and the products interchangable. You will find that even the colors may match. One brand I used called my color Sonoran Sand and another company called it Sonoran Tan, exact same color.

Applying a new color top coat is pretty easy. You just roll it on. I have a lot of decking around my pool and on my back patio and I can recoat everthing in a day with less than one 5 gallon bucket.

Any certain roller you use?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.