Question about Pool Closing in PA, nervous about upcoming temps

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
Hi guys:
I am going to try my hand at closing the pool myself this year (with a buddy helping out on the cover).
I am going to do this next Tuesday. HOWEVER, here is the Weather the next 4 days in my area.
Friday - High 48 Low 30
Sat - High 48 - Low 32
Sunday High 57 Low 34
Monday High 44 Low 33

I am concerned about my pipes freezing. Should I run the Pump all day every day ? Or just at night ?
Also, last year I used Polyquat and closed my pool late and opened it early and it was green. never again.
I intend to just use bleach this year as I have done in the past with an AGP with success.
My pool is like 21000 gallons. What level do I need my FC to be at ? And also, if I want to add bleach during winter,
can I just swish it around with my skimmer net ? (being the water will be below the skimmer line)
Thanks in advance :)

You are not going to get any freezing if the temperature is as forecasted. Read...

You can run your pump overnight for insurance if you want.

Close your pool with 1/2 slam level to slam level FC.

You are not going to get any freezing if the temperature is as forecasted. Read...

You can run your pump overnight for insurance if you want.

Close your pool with 1/2 slam level to slam level FC.
TY sir. What about adding bleach later on down the road and swishing it around with my skimmer net ?

TY sir. What about adding bleach later on down the road and swishing it around with my skimmer net ?

It is really not necessary if you are going to open in the early spring. But if it makes you feel good it cannot hurt.

I add on a nice 50 degree day in Jan and take back to SLAM level just because... I have not opened to a green pool in 5 years of pool ownership :)

I add on a nice 50 degree day in Jan and take back to SLAM level just because... I have not opened to a green pool in 5 years of pool ownership :)
Do you leave it at slam level the whole time ? Do you close it at slam level or 1/2 slam level as ajw22 mentions above ? When you add the bleach in January, what do you use to disperse it ? My pool will be drained below the skimmer line and I have no main drain (vinyl liner) so pump wont work.

I took it to SLAM level when I closed last week and will do the same in Jan... I use a pool brush with a 16 foot pole to move the water around, scrub the floor and disperse the liquid chlorine... I do not cover my pool so super easy to do for me :)

I took it to SLAM level when I closed last week and will do the same in Jan... I use a pool brush with a 16 foot pole to move the water around, scrub the floor and disperse the liquid chlorine... I do not cover my pool so super easy to do for me :)

Good to know. I wonder if leaving it at SLAM level all winter with no water movement will discolor the liner (I have a vinyl liner pool)

Good to know. I wonder if leaving it at SLAM level all winter with no water movement will discolor the liner (I have a vinyl liner pool)

If you are going to play that game then you need to accurately measure your CYA before you add chlorine. You can lose CYA with the pool closed for various reasons. Assuming the CYA is the same as when you closed the pool when in fact it has dropped would mean your FC is over the safe SLAM FC level. That can cause problems with your liner.

Accurately testing your CYA includes warming the test water up to room temperature above 70F before adding reagent and mixing the test.

I just want to point out that @gdog2004 and @cowboycasey pools live in very different environments. What works in one environment may not work in another. You have to carefully evalute your pool environment when comparing with what others do.

If you are going to play that game then you need to accurately measure your CYA before you add chlorine. You can lose CYA with the pool closed for various reasons. Assuming the CYA is the same as when you closed the pool when in fact it has dropped would mean your FC is over the safe SLAM FC level. That can cause problems with your liner.

Accurately testing your CYA includes warming the test water up to room temperature above 70F before adding reagent and mixing the test.

I just want to point out that @gdog2004 and @cowboycasey pools live in very different environments. What works in one environment may not work in another. You have to carefully evalute your pool environment when comparing with what others do.
True, if leaving it at half slam would take me out of any possible liner staining (regardless of CYA) I would be fine with that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do it a few times throughout winter to be safe. I open very very early also. Like my water is 37 degrees or colder. I through a pump in the deep end with a 4 foot piece of hose and the mental end cut off. I let it whip around in the deep end and pour the liquid chlorine over it. I let that pump run for 2 hrs. It mixes it up good I have measured in the deep end and low end and my tests match so I know it mixes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.