Gold Supporter
Sep 5, 2021
Miami. FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi everyone! We just finished replastering our pool and in about 1-2 weeks they should be adding salt to the pool. My question is that my SWG is wired (from previous owner) so that when the pool pump turns on (from the timer) the SWG turns on as well (which makes sense). The question is that obviously, there's no salt in the pool and the SWG turns on as well. I try to remember to turn it off in the morning, and obviously it says check cell. But, what happens if there is NO salt in the pool with the SWG on?

Normally we don't add salt for 30 days but I would follow your plaster contractor's recommendations. Low salt will generally be detected by your swg and stop chlorinating but I would disconnect the swg if you can. It's not that hard to do. What kind of controls do you have? Otherwise, it looks like you may be able to unplug the cell from the controller. I'll see if I can get some help from a person that may know more about your swg unit, @ajw22 .

I hope this helps.

Chris

Reactions: Brazillianguy
Nothing happens if there is no or low salt in the pool and the SWG is on.

Don't worry about it.

From Plaster Installation and Maintenance - Further Reading

When Should Salt be Added? In our industry, there seems to be some consensus to wait 30 days before adding salt to new plaster pools, yet some say it is okay to add salt within a couple of days of filling the pool. Who is right? This thread describes why it appears that the recommendation to wait 30 days before adding any salt is appropriate for most plaster pools, including quartz and pebble pools.

I appreciate the answers. I try to wake up early (before going to work and before the timer switches on) and turn the pool pump on manually and turn off the SWG. But sometimes I forget

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.