Question about leak repair

Jun 20, 2016
Overland Park, KS
Sorry for being a little lengthy, but want to give some background. I've had the pool for 16 years, and every year have had one or two cases of liner bulge / floating when heavy rain. (Yes, I have a drainage problem that needs to be addressed). I had a new liner put in the season before last. Last fall, the liner floated after a heavy fall rainstorm, after I had closed the pool. I didn't' think much about it, the liner went back in place with a couple wrinkles. When I opened the pool, the water was all the way down below the return jet. I filled it, opened, balanced etc, and realized I had a leak. Started looking around and noticed a line of holes going up the side from the return to the top. I'm assuming where small rocks poked through last fall after the liner bulge. In all those holes I had a cluster of 3-4 holes that I patched with two big patches instead of little ones. Believe this is the source of my mistake - used a patch too big. I've been fighting a leak now since late May, scouring every inch of the pool, draining the water down to the opening position and through a process of elimination, presumed that one of the the large patches is leaking. Dye test didn't prove it. But, I'm guessing it was leaking because it was too big and didn't' get enough glue on it. Since I couldn't' prove that was the source, I did a hail mary, and put a 4x8 in piece of Flex Tape over the 2 large patches and the leak seems to have stopped.

That Flex tape is ugly, and I can't get it back off w/o damaging the liner as far as I can tell. The question is, is there anything wrong with cutting a large piece of spare liner, lining it up with the pattern, and putting it over that Flex Tape to make it look a little better. I could probably glue it sparingly since its for aesthetics, and not leak stoppage.

That Flex tape is ugly, and I can't get it back off w/o damaging the liner as far as I can tell. The question is, is there anything wrong with cutting a large piece of spare liner, lining it up with the pattern, and putting it over that Flex Tape to make it look a little better. I could probably glue it sparingly since its for aesthetics, and not leak stoppage.

I don't see a problem with that. I would glue it solid as a third layer of leak protection and maybe that patched area will outlast the rest of your liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.