Question about K-2006C FC and CC testing

azpooldude

May 14, 2019
Scottsdale, AZ
So I got a Taylor K-2006C test kit. Tried the chlorine tests today for the first time, carefully following instructions.

I used the 1 drop = 0.5 ppm and the 10 ml sample.

My question is: how long are you supposed to wiat, or take into account time, when getting the water to turn colorless?

In other words, for the first free chlorine test, it took 16 drops to go colorless, so FC of 16 x .5 = 8.

So then I actually waited a bit while consulting the instructions, and when I went to continue, the water had turned a tiny bit pinkish again, so I added one more drop to make it colorless again. FC 8.5.

When performing the combined chlorine (next part) I had a similar experience except more noticable. When I first got it to go colorless, it was like 3 drops (CC 1.5). But I waited a minute or so, it got slightly pinkish again, added another drop, went colorless. Waited another minute, it seemed to turn pinkish again, added another drop. This happened like 3 times, so my initial reading of 3 drops became 6 drops (CC 3.0).

I'm just wondering if you're supposed to wait and let the color come back, or just take the reading when it first goes colorless...?

When the sample goes clear, that is your result. Dispose of the sample unless doing the CC. If doing CC, proceed with that test, once it clears, test is complete.

Not to hi-Jack but what is the difference between the 2 FC tests?(the. 2 and the .5ppm)

Also how do you dispose of samples and clean tube, especially when doing 5 tests?
The 0.2 uses the 25mL sample, the 0.5 uses the 10mL sample. Each drop is more concentrated in a smaller sample.

I dump mine down the drain and rinse in the sink between tests because I usually use a bottle or cup to collect water and then run my tests by the sink inside sitting down.

Simple terms, FC is chlorine that is available for sanitation. CC is chlorine that is locked in battle.
Do not dispose into pool water. I pour it out onto a dirt patch or down the drain.
Rise the tubes in tap water between and after tests.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if the FC test was to test for 2 different desired results, like if you wanted to see more.

So dumping into dirt outside isn't bad, what about grass? Can I rinse with pool water? I use a 25 oz cup to get a sample of water, and used the extra to rinse the tubes... Does it need to be tap water?

Not to hi-Jack but what is the difference between the 2 FC tests?(the. 2 and the .5ppm)

Also how do you dispose of samples and clean tube, especially when doing 5 tests?
.3ppm (sorry, I couldn’t help myself)

It’s just the level of precision. While .2 increments is more precise, you don’t need to be that precise. So, TFP recommends using 10ml samples and .5ppm of precision to save the reagents.

Dispose of them in the sink and wash throughly.

• Haha
Reactions: justinc
Wash, with soap and water? Would this stuff also need it's own dedicated sponge (or brush) that doesn't touch utensils?

Also are the drops in the kits'hazardous'? I realize you shouldn't ingest them, and keep them out of eyes, but should I way gloves when testing water?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.