Question about interrupted concrete deck and drainage...

Feb 23, 2018
Henderson
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi all,

I have a question about the need for drainage with an interrupted deck. Our deck will be comprised of rectangular, poured-in-place concrete blocks with Mexican Beach Pebbles in between each one. In my mind, this separation eliminates the need for a deck drain, or any sort of sloping. Am I right in this assumption? I would think the majority of any water would be allowed to travel through the rocks and back into the ground.

Here is an example of the design we're going with:

mexican20beach.jpg

Any help or insight would be appreciated!

Thank you!

As long as you have good two foot base of gravel you should be more than fine.

How is drainage around the rest of your property? Any issues.

Typically you would not slope such a deck, but if drainage was a problem in your area you would basically make french drains before you installed
your deck. Otherwise the base materials could have drainage pipes underground if needed to say push water away from a house or foundation.

Nice looking deck.. really like it.

We're in Vegas, so I don't think water is a huge issue, but I've been told it can rain pretty heavily (we only moved here 8 months ago).

Our contractor is suggesting an underground pipe with some drain caps under the rock...it seems like a good solution, but if we don't REALLY need it, I'd rather not spend the money.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.