Question about draining pool before liner replacement

yad007

Oct 12, 2019
san jose, ca
We will be replacing the vinyl liner. It may happen in a month or 2 depending the when they ship and the installer's schedule. I plan to pump some water everyday into the lawn. Is there an issue if I empty the pool and leave it empty for a few weeks ?

The water is providing structural support for the walls of the pool and it protects the pool floor from washout as well. If you empty the pool now and then go a month or two before replacing the liner and refilling, you run the risk of a good storm causing the sides of the pool to collapse. If you have an older pool with steel or wooden walls the risk is greater due to probable rust and wood rot that occur over time.

I’ve heard the same thing about the walls caving in but when I did my pool the pool was empty for three months. Only thing is I had to pump out the water after a heavy rainfall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.