New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I asked this question a while ago, didn't get an answer and let it drop but I just read a thread about CSI and a SWG. I always thought CSI was about plaster pool etching, am I wrong?

My CSI numbers are always less than -1. Is this something I do need to worry about with a SWG? I know my TA and CH are relatively low and figured that was great for scaling on the SWG. PH is within range, I do notice that CSI fluctuates with temp and I know water temp is a component of CSI

What am I missing with CSI? Do I need to even worry about it?

Thanks!

Do I need to even worry about it?
Not for your vinyl. For some pool owners, especially those with very high CH content, the CSI can provide valuable info to let an owner know if their SWG is susceptible to scale. Since your water typically runs slightly negative all the time, you should be in good shape.

With vinyl, low CH and presumably low CH fill water in the northeast, CSI won't ever matter for you.

Most if us up here have to add CH occasionally. I add at 50 back to 100, just to have some in there.

Reactions: VinnyinNJ
Not for your vinyl. For some pool owners, especially those with very high CH content, the CSI can provide valuable info to let an owner know if their SWG is susceptible to scale. Since your water typically runs slightly negative all the time, you should be in good shape.
Thanks for the info!

Reactions: Texas Splash
With vinyl, low CH and presumably low CH fill water in the northeast, CSI won't ever matter for you.

Most if us up here have to add CH occasionally. I add at 50 back to 100, just to have some in there.
The CH out of the tap is 50, should I be testing and adding some calcium? I just figured 50 was great since it's so low, no worries about scale on the SWG plates ( if I ever get to turn it on! 🤣). Years ago I would use Cal Hypo and watched for CH but since only using bleach for years I stopped testing for it totally.

Since you don't have a heater in your signature that might call for a CH minimum, there really is no need to add calcium. The small amount you have naturally in your local water is fine and might help with some forms of stain control.

The CH out of the tap is 50, should I be testing and adding some calcium?
I test it 3 times a season and I lose more to rain overflow than i gain from fill water.
I just figured 50 was great since it's so low, no worries about scale on the SWG plates
It is great. They used to say we needed 100. I don't know if vinyl manufacturing changed or they realized they didn't know what they were talking about. I'm being overly cautious with my brand new liner that in part held up my build for a year. Also, It wasn't itemized on the build contract but I'm certain I paid through the nose for it. Probably the other end too. :ROFLMAO:

After 7 years or so I'll probably be ok with 50 or less.

Reactions: VinnyinNJ