Question about converting single speed to two speed

D.sebens

Jun 16, 2021
White Heath Illinois
I’ve been thinking about converting my pentair dynamo pump to a two speed pump. I bought a filter, 1.5 pump and pool stairs used for $200. I feel like I got a good deal, the pump is only 2 years old and I also have a wet and rebuild. With having the stairs in there I’m a little paranoid and missing cleaning occasionally and the stairs deleting the fc in that area. I was thinking with a two speed pump I could idle the pump all day to keep the water fresh around the stairs. Ideally I would just replace the motor as the wetend is good. Right now the pump is just set on multiple schedules throughout the day with a smart outlet
My question is, how do you handle two speeds without automation? I assume you would have to make sure both speeds aren’t energized at the same time. So would it be easiest to make some sort of DPDT switch? Or is that how the pump is set up? I assume it would be like a spa where they would be separate circuits meant to be controlled by something.

I would skip a 2 speed pump and go to a VS pump... These Calimar pumps are the same price as a 2 speed motor now and work way better... You can set the RPM over a 24 hour period and save MAJOR money doing it.. I just bought the 3hp just because they are so cheap, I am going to use it as my solar pump to move lots of water along with my normal VS pump... :)

1.5 hp

3 hp

You are right on the price by doing that I would have to run 220. Darn me for not running 12/3 out to it lol. So if I went that route, my understanding is that I still don’t “need” automation right? I could set up basic speeds on the pump its self?

You are correct, it has a 24 hour controller on it and it works great, exactly like mine I have now.. That basic pump will not connect to automation at all... you could turn it on and off if you wanted but you really want a VS pump to be connected constantly to power..

Also, I would be remiss if it did not tell you to get a surge protector on your pump panel or whole house... It is REALLY needed with VS pumps, they are DC and sensitive to lightning and power craziness...

This whole house system is great, I wish they had it when I got mine

This one if you have a separate panel at the pump..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.