Question about Blue Stone and heat

cteal

Bronze Supporter
Jun 25, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Hi there! We are currently DIY'ing our own pool and looking at decking options. I love the look of Pennsylvania full color bluestone but read that it gets really hot and is very uncomfortable on your feet. So, I called a local stone company to inquire about other stone options. They told me if I sealed the bluestone with 2-3 coats of polyurethane that it would considerably lessen the amount of heat the stone holds. Is that possible?

This is a really large stone business so I would think they would know what they are talking about but wanted to see if any of you had any input/advice.

Thanks,
Christine
from Alabama

Our Bluestone coping is a bit hotter than the concrete decking. So very hot. Too hot to stand on for long on a 90 plus degree sunny day.

As for coating it with polyurethane, that sounds like a really bad idea near a pool. Super slippery I’d expect and something more to maintain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.