Question about blowing out the lines for winter

WaddleDuck

Jun 10, 2023
Ontario Canada
Hey everyone,

New member here looking for some advice

I am going to try and close my pool myself this fall and was wondering what the best way to blow out the return lines would be. I purchased my home about a year ago and the pool and equipment was already set up by the previous owner, a bit of a DIY job. At the moment the pipe from the pump to the Hayward sand filter is glued on from both ends and i cant seem to remove it. would it be safe to use a air compressor or shop vac and connect it through the pump to blow out the return lines that way or do i need to cut the pipe and replace it to blow out the lines?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: The link below is a great start. As for the best tool for the job... look for a Cyclone blower. It's by far the most common. It pushes more cubic feet of air compared to others that simply push air quickly. You can try an air compressor or ShopVac, but the Cyclone pushed more air by volume which is ideal for pool plumbing.

I use a small pancake compressor and blow through the drain screw at the pump basket. I don’t build up pressure in the tank, I just hook up the compressor and turn it on. The compressor will gradually push air through the lines and push out the water. It won’t clear like a pool blower will , but it gets out enough so any remaining water ends up at the lowest area and is way below the frost line anyway so no chance of freezing.

As far north as you are, I'd want a cyclone blower to be sure I got it all. Here's my way of using a shop vac and/or backpack leaf blower.

Be careful with air compressors. They high pressure, low air flow devices. They really aren’t suitable for moving lots of air through 1-1/2 to 2” PVC. Cyclone blowers (and shopvacs with attachment to the air blower side) are more suited for the job as they can move high volumes of air at low pressure. Accidentally pressuring PVC lines can cause cracks to develop at glue joints. Also, the pump and filter should all be on unions so that the equipment is removable. You don’t want to leave sensitive electrical equipment out in the cold and snow.

If you’re serious about closing the pool yourself, then get the right tools for the job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.