Question about binding

hixis

May 3, 2024
Slidell, la
Hey ya'll, found this forum while searching for binding questions. I purchased a home 5 years ago, my pump just recently went out (Pentair Superflo Vs purchased Pentair Whisperflo VST). The previous installation has the pump binded to a near-by fence post and also to the sub panels ground in the box. Is that correct? I'd assume the pool and surrounding areas tie into the fence post, then to the pump. IG pool so the entire area is cement.

Thanks

Welcome to TFP.

The #8 copper bonding wire should not be connected to electrical grounds.

Thanks, from what I've read online I needed some clarification. I did have the pool inspected before I purchased. The only red flag sited was the previous installer used an electrical conduet with blk, red & green wires. Red wire was connected to neutral and on L1. I'll wire the pump up as the plate shows L1 hot, L2 neutral (115v) with no bonding from pool pump to sub panel ground bus.

Thanks, from what I've read online I needed some clarification.

Read online where?

There is a lot of incorrect information online.

I did have the pool inspected before I purchased.

Many inspectors do not understand the details of pool bonding.
The only red flag sited was the previous installer used an electrical conduet with blk, red & green wires. Red wire was connected to neutral and on L1.

Color of wires means nothing. It is where it is connected to.

I'll wire the pump up as the plate shows L1 hot, L2 neutral (115v) with no bonding from pool pump to sub panel ground bus.

Pump should be grounded with the green ground wire from the pump ground screw to an electrical ground.

A pump has a green ground wire and a copper bonding wire.

Read online where?

There is a lot of incorrect information online.

Many inspectors do not understand the details of pool bonding.

Color of wires means nothing. It is where it is connected to.

Pump should be grounded with the green ground wire from the pump ground screw to an electrical ground.

A pump has a green ground wire and a copper bonding wire.
Correct, I understand the wiring color makes no difference. Perhaps the inspector I hired before closing didn't have a clue however it caught his attention. I'm no electrician & upgraded the previous pump to the whisperflo since wiring is the same. Only learned about bonding per user manual. Thanks for the reply & the links you've posted. Also the bonding wire they used is 12awg & not bare from old pump to fence post. I'll fix that issue as well.

Also the bonding wire they used is 12awg & not bare from old pump to fence post. I'll fix that issue as well.

Bonding wire must be copper #8 AWG in US and #6 AWG in Canada. Latest NEC no longer says it must be bare.

Reactions: hixis