Bwdonohues58

Gold Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 22, 2019
Homer, AK
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My 10,300-gallon pool has a nice blue "field tile" below the waterline but has a darker blue tile for the top 6." So the waterline is 4" from the top. I get some (not a lot) of white residue on the tiles above the waterline and I believe it is from the calcium in the water. I have been looking at an Orenda product, SC-1000, that is supposed to reduce this scale and I am wondering if anyone at TFP has any opinions/experience about this. I am very reluctant to put anything unnecessary in the water but the whiteish stuff on the top tiles is not cool, IMO.

I don't think the SC-1000 will remove any scale deposits already on your waterline tile. Also Orenda says that SC-1000 does create a chlorine demand and will make the CH test inaccurate for the first 3-4 days.

Best way to prevent and remove calcium scale is to keep your CSI towards -0.3.

Your analysis of that white line is almost surely correct. It's underlying cause is evaporation. The Calcium simply comes out of solution as the water is saturated right at that point.

If you know the CH of your pool water and the CH of your fill water, you can possible adjust those to eliminate or minimize those deposits. pH control can be helpful, too.

Can you tell us the CH of your pool water and fill water? In fact, pH and TA would also be helpful.

Thanks. CH of fill water is 30. I keep the CH in the pool at 200. TA of fill is 40. I keep it at 80 in the pool. I keep the PH between 7.4 and 7.6 by adding 8 ounces of MA every Monday. I add CL with a Stenner pump and keep it at 2.5-3.0 as much as possible. Pool water is 95 degrees F.

Those are great numbers and I can't suggest any chemistry that would help eliminate/reduce the scaling tendency. Speculation but I wonder if the warm water contributes to the scale by accelerating evaporation.

I'm confident that you already know this but I think I would simply take something mildly acidic (like white vinegar) and wipe down that white line a couple of times each week. With those numbers, that might be all you need.

If I remember, that Orenda product consumes some chlorine (don't know how much). I don't think I would use it.

How are you currently removing the scale?

I bought a pretty cool attachment for my screw gun that uses 1" thick scouring pad type stuff, 4" diameter. I just mix up a weak solution of MA, dip it in, and run it along the tiles so it comes right off. I agree that the fewer chemicals in the water the better. I only scour it about every 2 weeks or so. You are right about the water temperature. I get a lot of white residue on my pool cover that I use every night to reduce evaporation, etc. My CSI is usually about -0.14. The ORP is always above 750. I plan to drain the pool completely on April 2 and clean up the tiles and replace 4 tiles that came off. The water here is pretty cheap and it will cost about $350.00 to put in new water. The hose will fill the pool in 24 hours or less (7.5 gpm). A water truck is quicker but costs over $750.00. The TDS is around1204 ppm now and I want to get rid of it when it hits 1500. I have put in lots of foolish stuff in the pool while I was learning that less is better so I want to start over with clean water. Good time to clean the filters too.
https://www.amazon.com/Holikme-Scru...attachment+for+scouring&qid=1614641487&sr=8-8

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.