Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
@Ahhsomeguy

I saw you mention Aqua Clarity in an other thread and I went to look at the product on your website. One question, and one comment

You state that you use 3 oz of mixed Aqua Clarity to purge and 1 oz for maintenance. Does this replace the Ahhsome Hot Tub product for purging then. It there a benefit to purging at water changes with Ahhsome and then using Aqua Clarity for maintenance, or for using Aqua Clarity for everything, or does it not matter.

Just a comment, one of the "Laundry List" of benefits is that: "Water will smell fresh, look fresh and fee fresh" You also list "No longer forced to follow high maintenance protocols" as a benefit twice

Reactions: Vtown
Thank you phonedave for your post. To use the mixed Aqua Clarity as a "purge" you would use (3), three ounces of the AC product for each 100 gallons of water. So, just starting out with the program on a 400 gallon hot tub you would add 12 ounces of the mixed product into the hot tub as a purge facilitator, just like the Ahh-Some gel provides. Yes, this can replace the Ahh-Some gel as a purge product. You won't need both. There are many benefits to using the Aqua Clarity, one being that adding the small amount as a maintenance dose weekly will greatly reduce the biofilm that can colonize in the plumbing and jets over time. This is truly an amazing program that will promote the clearest water ever while allowing your sanitizer levels to be maintained without experiencing high decay rates. We have had numerous hot tub owners get much longer cell life from their SWG systems using the Aqua Clarity. You need nothing else except for chlorine or bromine and periodic additions of a pH or TA product. Important: Always use a good quality gallon jug for the product to be mixed with tap water. Water jugs or milk jugs are NOT acceptable. I used a rinsed windshield washer jug. Always use a jug that has a child resistant cap (CRC) on it for safety. Trying is believing. We do realize that dealers will absolutely not promote this product since you buy once a year or so and just add sanitizer. We do not offer this product to dealers. This was my pet project for many many years. I decided to release it to assist the hundeds of thousands of hot tub owners who struggle with maintenance issues. There is enough product to purge your 400 gallon hot tub twice, every 6 months, and enough left over so you can add 2 ounces weekly for 52 weeks. That adds up to 128 ounces or a gallon. Sorry for the duplicate high maintenance benefit listed twice.

Thank you phonedave for your post. To use the mixed Aqua Clarity as a "purge" you would use (3), three ounces of the AC product for each 100 gallons of water. So, just starting out with the program on a 400 gallon hot tub you would add 12 ounces of the mixed product into the hot tub as a purge facilitator, just like the Ahh-Some gel provides. Yes, this can replace the Ahh-Some gel as a purge product. You won't need both. There are many benefits to using the Aqua Clarity, one being that adding the small amount as a maintenance dose weekly will greatly reduce the biofilm that can colonize in the plumbing and jets over time. This is truly an amazing program that will promote the clearest water ever while allowing your sanitizer levels to be maintained without experiencing high decay rates. We have had numerous hot tub owners get much longer cell life from their SWG systems using the Aqua Clarity. You need nothing else except for chlorine or bromine and periodic additions of a pH or TA product. Important: Always use a good quality gallon jug for the product to be mixed with tap water. Water jugs or milk jugs are NOT acceptable. I used a rinsed windshield washer jug. Always use a jug that has a child resistant cap (CRC) on it for safety. Trying is believing. We do realize that dealers will absolutely not promote this product since you buy once a year or so and just add sanitizer. We do not offer this product to dealers. This was my pet project for many many years. I decided to release it to assist the hundeds of thousands of hot tub owners who struggle with maintenance issues. There is enough product to purge your 400 gallon hot tub twice, every 6 months, and enough left over so you can add 2 ounces weekly for 52 weeks. That adds up to 128 ounces or a gallon. Sorry for the duplicate high maintenance benefit listed twice.

No need to apologize for the duplicated benefit - I just want to let you know there is an error on your website so you can correct it.

It is good to know that it can either replace, or be used in conjunction with gel. I think I will order the Aqua Clarity, and use it weekly and continue to use my gel for purges until I run out, then I just start using the Aqua Clarity for both purges and weekly maintenance.

Thank you again for your comments. That would be a very smart move on your part to begin the program.
It is ridiculously inexpensive and it does exactly what we say. When you get a few weeks into the program you will become a believer.

@Ahhsomeguy, I have been using Leisure Time Bright & Clear for many months and have been happy with it's performance to do what Aqua Clarity does as part of it's maintenance. Amazon reviews seems to have similar outcomes including increasing clarity and some scum/biofilm appearing on the sides of the tub. What makes them so different since the Aqua Clarity is quite expensive per fluid ounce?

FYI - I purchased some of the Aqua Clarity just because your Ahh-Some gel product for purges is so amazing! I have high expectations! :geek:

Hello Hotubbie: Appreciate your question regarding the Aqua Clarity. The Leisure Time Bright & Clear is a very good product. However, it really has one single purpose, clarify water. Without getting deep into the chemistry there are other benefits to the Aqua Clarity other than to maintain crystal clear water. Being that you have purchased the AC product you will notice the following changes. Water clarity will be fantastic, pH and TA will not fluctuate nearly as much since the product is buffered, sanitizer decay rates will be reduced, the water will feel and smell better than ever, foaming will be reduced when high jets are engaged, the potential to get hot tub rash is drastically reduced since the AC penetrates biofilms that are colonizing allowing the water pressure to place the biofilm in a planktonic state so the sanitizer can oxidize and kill it. Biofilms are the bane of every hot tub owner whether they realize this or not. This particular forum has people that realize what biofilm can do to your health and offer advice that is spot on.
The Aqua Clarity uses similar chemistries as our Ahh-Some full-strength gel but with lower actives and added proprietary ingredients. The AC is constantly sweeping all surfaces where hot tub water makes contact. We still recommend that you purge every 6 months or so, depending on the hot tub gallonage, but while using the Aqua Clarity you will notice practically an 80-90% less amount of released polysaccharides and other contaminants.

You mention the cost difference as well. When you consider the fact that all you need is Aqua Clarity and sanitizer with periodic pH and TA adjustments, the price of the product is a deal. The 6 ounce Concentrate makes 128 ounces ( a gallon), of finished product. In a 400 gallon hot tub you use only 2 ounces weekly. That totals 104 ounces. The 24 ounces left over is used for 2 (12 ounce) purges, one before you begin the AC program ( very important step), and another purge 6 months later. You need ZERO additional chemicals. You can maintain the hot tub in less tan 2 minutes a week. We recommend testing of course with a reliable (non dip strip) kit. If you have a salt system you can turn the production down to make the cell last longer. We have had so many Hot Spring Ace and FreshWater users give us their feedback. Hot tub covers will not have nearly the amount of mold or fungus that they now seem to absorb. You need AC, and Sanitizer. All this for $89.95. I think you made a great deal and I do thank you for making the purchase. Please put the product through the paces and get back to this forum with your comments. Happy Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
@phonedave
On my recent purge I used a 1/2 dose of Ahhsome (because i ran out) & a 1/2 purge dose of the aqua clarity for my size tub. The purge went as expected as foam goes- no over foaming. Going forward I intend to use just the Ahhsome gel for my purges to conserve my Aqua clarity.
I had been using the aqua clarity weekly for a few months w/out purging 1st to really be able to see if there was a noticeable difference in my upcoming every 6months purge & to my surprise there was very little detritus expelled (*note - I always purge twice). Nothing on the 1st round & very little on the second round (which usually has a decent amount).
Now i have started fresh & will continue with the weekly maintenance dose. Based on my small tub size one container will last me 2 years! I am currently recording my findings w/ the product & at my next purge (in March/April) i will do a write up of my experiences including any noticeable differences in fc decay rates.
I have a feeling it will only be good things to report.
As a woman who uses things like moisturizing body washes & has a hubby that works in nasty, greasy environments I am thrilled to have something in my arsenal to combat the build up of these biofilms on a more frequent basis.(because no matter how much you scrub in the shower there’s still grease in your pores that will build up in your plumbing w/ those conditions)

Reactions: Dirrby
Thank you Mdragger88 for your comments On the Aqua Clarity. The product will perform spectacularly. This can be a game changer for all the hot tub owners who are fighting water chemistry. Will there ever be detractors? Sure! However, we are absolutely certain that the product does what we claim. Anyone not satisfied with it can get a full refund. So far, no takers. This will not be available in hot tub stores since the retail price and the length of time the product services a hot tub would not allow for sufficient profit margins annualized per hot tub customer.

@Ahhsomeguy, I dropped my first app of Aqua Clarity at the rate of 1 floz / 100 gallons. This was applied yesterday at around 5:00pm. All went good.

When I woke up this morning, there was a bit of buildup on the sides. Nothing to speak of but I never saw this with the Leisure Time Bright & Clear. Very impressive. I wiped it off, rinsed my filters, did a chlorine shock and was very happy with the results. I purged my tub with the Ahh-Some gel last weekend. Great results as usual, but it is nice to see the Aqua Clarity doing it's job picking up some extra. It may be some hair product that made it's way into the water. Traditionally I would not have been able to pull this out of the water, but the AC was able to do so.

I'm going to stick with the weekly maintenance dose over the next three months and see where it ends up. Of note...the hot tub water this evening was exceptionally clear - probably the best I've seen since I installed the hot tub about 18 months ago.

Attached pics...first one is during the Ahh-Some gel purge. Second pic is the results this afternoon after the app of Aqua Clarity yesterday.

IMG_3905.JPG
IMG_3921.JPG

More updates to come...stay tuned.

Water looks great. For the first two weeks or so you may notice that the filters need more cleaning and that the sanitizer level may drop quicker than normal. This will stop after week 2 or thereabouts. Wow, lot’s of jets in your tub. The setting looks great. Hope you and the family have many happy and healthy years with your hot tub.

Last edited:
Reactions: hotubbie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, here I go this week. Brand new hot tub, first one ever (but long time hot tub forum lurker). Using the Freshwater SWG. Going to do an Ahhsome purge first thing, then give the Aqua Clarity maintenance a shot. Going to use the advice from TFP for balancing the water and picked up the TF-Pro test kit. I'm a little nervous that trying Aqua Clarity right out of the gate will be another variable to worry about if I run into problems, but I also figure that starting it from the get-go might be the best way to see how well it can work. Placing my trust in the community that I've followed from afar for so long... everyone seems to like Ahhsome and I appreciate that @Ahhsomeguy replies on forums to questions. Wish me luck!

Hi Kronos571: Using the Aqua Clarity Maintenance Program with your Freshwater SWG is a great combination.
The key to it’s success is to make sure that a successful PURGE is performed prior to it’s first use. Otherwise, the “AC” will perform “mini-purges” continually and you will see biofilm floaters. No big deal, but can be frustrating.
So, do the purge and begin the program. Things you will notice. Week 1: Your filters will need to be spray cleaned twice to remove bio-gunk the Aqua Clarity has loosened from surfaces that the purge missed. Every single speck of surface grit will be cleaned away. Second: You may notice that the sanitizer levels may be lower than normal. After the first week you not have these occurences.
Here is what you will notice after the initial introduction process is complete: Water clarity will be improved.
Foaming will be eliminated or drastically reduced. Notice how quickly the bubbles break up and dissipate after the high jets are shut off. Sanitizer decay rate will be reduced and you can lower the output on the Freshwater system allowing the cell to give you extended service before replacement is required. Water feel and aroma will be enhanced. The pH should not bounce to extremes. Because the Aqua Clarity is the biofilm sheriff that is on duty 24/7 your water will be the healthiest ever. You simply add 1 (one) ounce of the mixed AC for each 200 gallons of water on a weekly basis. No matter what the bather load is your water should always look great, providing you have sufficient free available sanitizer levels.
Since many people read statements by manufacturers and feel that their comments are simply sales jargon and they don’t believe what they read, I ask you to please report your findings to the community as hotubbie is doing along with many other users. Thank you for your purchase and we look forward to your future posts.

Last edited:
Well, here I go this week. Brand new hot tub, first one ever (but long time hot tub forum lurker). Using the Freshwater SWG. Going to do an Ahhsome purge first thing, then give the Aqua Clarity maintenance a shot. Going to use the advice from TFP for balancing the water and picked up the TF-Pro test kit. I'm a little nervous that trying Aqua Clarity right out of the gate will be another variable to worry about if I run into problems, but I also figure that starting it from the get-go might be the best way to see how well it can work. Placing my trust in the community that I've followed from afar for so long... everyone seems to like Ahhsome and I appreciate that @Ahhsomeguy replies on forums to questions. Wish me luck!
To calm your fears — I have been testing before & after the aqua clarity weekly additions & there have been no adverse affects on any other parameters.
so other than actually pouring in the tiny weekly dose it really doesn’t complicate anything. I just add it before one of my soaks on the weekend so its easy for me to remember to do.

@Ahhsomeguy

I know that this new Aqua Clarity product is to be used on top of normal spa sanitation. Is it also a replacement for regular MPS non chlorine shock or also on top of that?. I never really have water clarity issue in my hot tub using the usual dichlor bleach chlorine method occasional weekly or less often MPS shock (and always balance), but I do get black particulate tacky stuff appearing over time. Guessing its oxidized biofilm detritis? The water is otherwise clear and pleasant. I change my water and ahh-some purge repeat + rinse every 3 months. If this aqua clarity stuff reduces or prevents the appearance of the little bits of black particulate matter and less water changes I’d be interested.

Last edited:
Hi Ckendalls: The Aqua Clarity does not replace MPS. This product must be used with an effective sanitizer program, preferably chlorine or bromine. What the AC will do for you is this. You will always have an ongoing level of a weaker type of Ahh-Some cleaner in your water 24/7. This means that after you do an effective purge before starting the program,(highly recommended) and you can use the Aqua Clarity for this purge, the Aqua Clarity will aid in the removal of Biofilms that would typically start attaching to plumbing and surfaces if not swept away into the water so your sanitizer oxidizes it and your filter system grabs the particulates. Your water is clear now I know but you will have even clearer water after the first week of use. Those black floaters you mention would also be attenuated or totally eliminated. We know it does this because after over 100 or so test tubs around the US had the product in use had extremely small amounts of biofilm and other gunk released after purging 4-6 months after starting the program In very active hot tubs. We have numerous respondents who were always getting hot tub rash no matter what they did or used in the tubs and now, after the Aqua Clarity, they are rash free. The product is continually working to gently scour surfaces, clarify water and extend the life of salt cells that have a tendency to calcify. Another big plus is that your filter(s) won’t ever need deep cleaning of the pleats with a filter cleaner. The AC product allows the filters to come clean with simply spraying them with a hose. Going away for a week or so? Not to worry. Add a little extra sanitizer and the weekly addition of the Aqua Clarity will maintain absolute water clarity upon your return. most people will notice that the sanitizer decay rate will go down after the first 2 or 3 weeks into the program. We have a few TFP supporters who are monitoring this with their personal hot tubs right now. I am sure they will report their results in due time. The little concentrated bottle gets mixed with 122 ounces of tap water into your chosen gallon container. The idea behind the program is to conserve on waste to help the environment. Why ship water in a large jug? This program is like the orange juice concentrate story. You buy a small frozen concentrate and mix it with water to make your juice for the family. The 6 ounce concentrate we supply makes a full gallon. This is enough to maintain a 400 gallon hot tub and purge the tub twice for one full year. Please note that you will still need to balance the water upon refilling and may need to adjust the pH periodically, maintain the correct amount of cyanuric acid if using chlorine and still test the water periodically. You still need to maintain control. Hope this helps you.

Hi Ckendalls: The Aqua Clarity does not replace MPS. This product must be used with an effective sanitizer program, preferably chlorine or bromine. What the AC will do for you is this. You will always have an ongoing level of a weaker type of Ahh-Some cleaner in your water 24/7. This means that after you do an effective purge before starting the program,(highly recommended) and you can use the Aqua Clarity for this purge, the Aqua Clarity will aid in the removal of Biofilms that would typically start attaching to plumbing and surfaces if not swept away into the water so your sanitizer oxidizes it and your filter system grabs the particulates. Your water is clear now I know but you will have even clearer water after the first week of use. Those black floaters you mention would also be attenuated or totally eliminated. We know it does this because after over 100 or so test tubs around the US had the product in use had extremely small amounts of biofilm and other gunk released after purging 4-6 months after starting the program In very active hot tubs. We have numerous respondents who were always getting hot tub rash no matter what they did or used in the tubs and now, after the Aqua Clarity, they are rash free. The product is continually working to gently scour surfaces, clarify water and extend the life of salt cells that have a tendency to calcify. Another big plus is that your filter(s) won’t ever need deep cleaning of the pleats with a filter cleaner. The AC product allows the filters to come clean with simply spraying them with a hose. Going away for a week or so? Not to worry. Add a little extra sanitizer and the weekly addition of the Aqua Clarity will maintain absolute water clarity upon your return. most people will notice that the sanitizer decay rate will go down after the first 2 or 3 weeks into the program. We have a few TFP supporters who are monitoring this with their personal hot tubs right now. I am sure they will report their results in due time. The little concentrated bottle gets mixed with 122 ounces of tap water into your chosen gallon container. The idea behind the program is to conserve on waste to help the environment. Why ship water in a large jug? This program is like the orange juice concentrate story. You buy a small frozen concentrate and mix it with water to make your juice for the family. The 6 ounce concentrate we supply makes a full gallon. This is enough to maintain a 400 gallon hot tub and purge the tub twice for one full year. Please note that you will still need to balance the water upon refilling and may need to adjust the pH periodically, maintain the correct amount of cyanuric acid if using chlorine and still test the water periodically. You still need to maintain control. Hope this helps you.
Yep. Understood the usual maintain control and had read the spiel. Was just wanting to understand more about the mechanism of action and etc vs MPS. I’m a bit hesitant on the additive approach not knowing what Aqua Clarity is since its not just a purge + rinse like ahh-some. The MSDS wasn‘t helpful of course. I spent a good chunk of my career in pharma biotech research fighting Pseudomonas and other bacterial (genome seq, antibiotics, antibodies) now in retirement in may hot tub!

Last edited:
Pseudomonas can be a major issue in hot tubs as you are no doubt very much aware. That bacteria thrives in a biofilm. When biofilms are exposed to a sanitizer while in a planktonic state, they are oxidized. Aqua Clarity continually seeps into any Biofilms so the water pressure can push it out of colonization and into the hot tub, allowing the sanitizer to eliminate it. Hot Tub Rash is caused by Pseudomonas as you know. Get rid of it and there is no more rash.

Pseudomonas can be a major issue in hot tubs as you are no doubt very much aware. That bacteria thrives in a biofilm. When biofilms are exposed to a sanitizer while in a planktonic state, they are oxidized. Aqua Clarity continually seeps into any Biofilms so the water pressure can push it out of colonization and into the hot tub, allowing the sanitizer to eliminate it. Hot Tub Rash is caused by Pseudomonas as you know. Get rid of it and there is no more rash.
Ok, now you’ve gotten my attention. We have a daughter with CF and have a constant battle to keep pseudomonas aeruginosa out of her lungs. We just came off a full year of doing inhaled antibiotics 2 times a day, finally eradicating it. So you say this product specifically helps prevent or treats for pseudomonas and I’m all ears. Our tub is brand new, just delivered a week ago, we did an Ahhsome purge to kick it off on the right foot. But let me get this straight, AC replaces the need for the purge product, or it’s used in conjunction with it as a weekly maintenance?

We have a pool as well, and I keep our FC on the upper end of the recommended range at all times, so I know it’s clean and never tested positive for pseudomonas, but this tub I’m quickly learning is a whole different animal. Plus, we live on the lake, so she’s possibly exposed in any number of environments, but we are determined to let her live her best life and mitigate the risks by eliminating them where we can. If this is possibly another tool in our arsenal, sign me up!

Reactions: ckendalls
Hi Eric: Your question is a good one. The AC can be used as a purge and weekly maintenance product. When used as a purge, we recommend using 12 fluid ounces of the pre-mixed Ac product for a single purge In a 400-500 gallon hot tub. You may continue to use the full-strength Ahh-Some Gel if you wish for purging and use the AC as a weekly maintenance product. Thank you for the Ahh-Some purchase. You are starting out on the right foot now with the “new tub purge”. It is unfortunate that more people don’t know about this important first step.
A clean plumbing make the maintenance a whole lot easier.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.