New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Leaf Rake - I like to use a leaf rake to take out debris that falls into the pool after a wind storm or in the fall. I have one that is 20 YO has worked well all those years and unfortunately as developed holes in the netting and I'm looking for a new one, does anyone use them and do you like the one you have? My pool is an AG and the one that I have has a fin angled so as I push the rake into the debris it flows into the bag, I can do it from outside the pool and it works well. All the ones I'm seeing on line either don't seem to be sturdy or don't have that fin, any suggestions?

Leaf Canister for cleaner - Although I have always used a suction side cleaner, EZ Vac originally and now the Hayward Aqua Bug I have never used the canister. The Aqua Bug has lengths of tubing that gets assembled together so putting one in line shouldn't be a problem. I'm just wondering if it's worth it or if it's a waste of money. I like the concept of it trapping debris before it goes into the pump basket so I don't have to pop the pump cover open. Anyone with any experience with these?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Can’t say much about leaf rakes. It’s pretty much find one you like and stick with it. If they don’t make it anymore then find one close enough to what you like.

As far as leaf canisters go, I use one and would never run my suction cleaner without it. I once got a suction line clogged when I tried to use the cleaner without it and that was no fun to fix. I like the small Hayward model. I have used the large Hayward too but it’s too big and prefer the hard plastic basket in the small Hayward because you can line it with a hairnet to catch small debris and fine sand with hairnets. I have also used the Pentair one but I did not like the flip lid. It’s garbage in my opinion.

Can’t say much about leaf rakes. It’s pretty much find one you like and stick with it. If they don’t make it anymore then find one close enough to what you like.

As far as leaf canisters go, I use one and would never run my suction cleaner without it. I once got a suction line clogged when I tried to use the cleaner without it and that was no fun to fix. I like the small Hayward model. I have used the large Hayward too but it’s too big and prefer the hard plastic basket in the small Hayward because you can line it with a hairnet to catch small debris and fine sand with hairnets. I have also used the Pentair one but I did not like the flip lid. It’s garbage in my opinion.
Thanks for the info!

I guess I'll pick a leaf rake and give it a try. As far as the leaf canister, I did see the Hayward ones and was considering the smaller one. Good to know it works and it's worth it.

Thanks for the info!

I guess I'll pick a leaf rake and give it a try. As far as the leaf canister, I did see the Hayward ones and was considering the smaller one. Good to know it works and it's worth it.

I hook mine up to the wall connection using a short segment of leader hose (I have a spare). Then the canister and then the hose segments for my suction cleaner. Keeping the canister close to the wall avoids it sinking down and interfering with the suction line. In the past, I have attached pieces of pool noodle to the canister to force it to float at the surface. The really big canisters are too heavy, especially when full, and they tend to sink and cause the suction hose to the cleaner to tangle up.

I have been very happy with the ProTuff leaf rake. They have a lifetime warranty on them so if they get a hole, you email them and they send you a new one. I have not had to use the warranty yet, but have read reviews that it is that simple.

I actually find that all of the items I have bought from them are high quality. I've had the leaf rake for 2+ seasons now and no problems yet. Going on season 3 with it.

--Jeff

I have been very happy with the ProTuff leaf rake. They have a lifetime warranty on them so if they get a hole, you email them and they send you a new one. I have not had to use the warranty yet, but have read reviews that it is that simple.

I actually find that all of the items I have bought from them are high quality. I've had the leaf rake for 2+ seasons now and no problems yet. Going on season 3 with it.

--Jeff
Thanks for the recommendation! I saw it on Amazon and read some of the 3 star and below reviews which didn't make it seem worth it. But Amazon reviews vs real user reviews can be different! I have been burnt by website reviews in the past.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Leaf Rake - I like to use a leaf rake to take out debris that falls into the pool after a wind storm or in the fall. I have one that is 20 YO has worked well all those years and unfortunately as developed holes in the netting and I'm looking for a new one, does anyone use them and do you like the one you have? My pool is an AG and the one that I have has a fin angled so as I push the rake into the debris it flows into the bag, I can do it from outside the pool and it works well. All the ones I'm seeing on line either don't seem to be sturdy or don't have that fin, any suggestions?

Leaf Canister for cleaner - Although I have always used a suction side cleaner, EZ Vac originally and now the Hayward Aqua Bug I have never used the canister. The Aqua Bug has lengths of tubing that gets assembled together so putting one in line shouldn't be a problem. I'm just wondering if it's worth it or if it's a waste of money. I like the concept of it trapping debris before it goes into the pump basket so I don't have to pop the pump cover open. Anyone with any experience with these?

Thanks in advance for any info.
My leaf rake is the same design, they work great. Mine is getting worn as well, has a crack in the plastic around the frame. Not sure what the name of it is, but it has a black net with orange plastic & scoop around the frame. It also has a weight in the middle of the bottom of the net, which is a great added help to keep the net from folding on itself and makes it a snap to flip the leaves out of it! I will edit post if I find a name on it.
I wish I could help with the other things, but those are beyond my knowledge level lol.
Good luck with everything and happy swimming!

Last edited:
Reactions: VinnyinNJ
They have a lifetime warranty on them so if they get a hole, you email them and they send you a new one. I have not had to use the warranty yet, but have read reviews that it is that simple
+1. Per many reviews, the only question they ask is 'It broke ????? REALLY ????' Then they send a new one no more questions asked. :ROFLMAO:

I have a heavy duty pole that I want to break so I can buy a ProTuff pole. Of course because I wish it to fail, it will outlive me.

Reactions: VinnyinNJ
My leaf rake is the same design, they work great. Mine is getting worn as well, has a crack in the plastic around the frame. Not sure what the name of it is, but it has a black net with orange plastic & scoop around the frame. It also has a weight in the middle of the bottom of the net, which is a great added help to keep the net from folding on itself and makes it a snap to flip the leaves out of it! I will edit post if I find a name on it.
I wish I could help with the other things, but those are beyond my knowledge level lol.
Good luck with everything and happy swimming!
We only had 1 leaf rake for the entire time we had our last pool and it lasted 19 years, toward the end the net started developing holes. I actually still have it and used it last year but it REALLY needs to be replaced! It is all metal frame construction, black frame and net with a white scoop/fin in the front for the debris. I'm sure I'm overthinking it! I always do!! :ROFLMAO:

+1. Per many reviews, the only question they ask is 'It broke ????? REALLY ????' Then they send a new one no more questions asked. :ROFLMAO:

I have a heavy duty pole that I want to break so I can buy a ProTuff pole. Of course because I wish it to fail, it will outlive me.
I agree on the pole! I have a painting pole that looks similar and it is SO MUCH nicer than the twist lock pole I have. I now have 3 pool poles, the original that came with our first pool - I use that for flinging leaves on my winter cover off of it (I think I have bent it a little by doing that). One that I got from a warehouse club store that is really nice (round but is fluted to give a nice grip) but still a twist lock and now the new pool came with one. I think it's time to retiring the really old one. But I have to wrap my head around getting rid of a functional device ... I got issues about things like that! :unsure:

Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are cut from the same cloth. I have so many things that actually need replacing or sprucing up that I can't throw away something that functions great all Willy Nilly. :ROFLMAO:
True story ... we replaced the posts that hold up the front of our house's roof above the front porch years ago. I had cut one a little too short so it was useless for that. Our last pool was about 4 YO at the time and I came up with the brilliant idea to put a outdoor electrical box on it, out a flood light on it along with a cord, sink a portion of it into the ground and use it to light up the pool. I never did it. We were talking about downsizing in late 2019/ beginning of 2020 and started to clean up (I.E. throw out) stuff. Well, our last pool was gone and the new pool wasn't even thought of so we went into the garage, saw that and got rid of it. Now we are talking lights for the backyard and it came up that it is a shame we got rid of that pole because we could have used it! Actually not really since our new "convenience" outlet is not where our old one was and it really can't be used!

BTW, I think I got this from my dad! He had a small toolbox full of screws from who knows where (I had that as well ... because you never know! :ROFLMAO: ) - I did get rid of the screws because they're cheap enough if I need them.

Lol. When we moved I went all Marie Kondo on 15 years of saved items. 98% of them were never touched after being saved and therefore did not bring me joy. I promptly started a new collection on day one at the new place.

Lol. When we moved I went all Marie Kondo on 15 years of saved items. 98% of them were never touched after being saved and therefore did not bring me joy. I promptly started a new collection on day one at the new place.

I’ve threatened to use the Marie Kondo principal on my kids - “If you don’t bring me joy, you can be given away to the gypsies …”.

To which they reply - “The gypsies won’t take us because we’re too annoying 👅

Gotta give them credit for a healthy sense of self-awareness…

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.