Queen Creek AZ-is a pool heater/chiller worth the cost?

Franklin J

Dec 8, 2021
chandler az
Hey guys great info on this site. I have a question for any possible AZ locals, but is getting a heater chiller worth the expense? I'd be getting a aquacal 166. Its a great unit from the research I've done. Just a little hesitant because of things I've read about cost and folks not using it. Pools about 6 months old20211013_150606.jpg

Welcome to the forum!
Our environment here in the SW desert is not conducive to heat pumps. For heating the pool in the shoulder seasons, in addition to covering the pool, a gas fired heater is more effective. Also, if you wish to get a cooler, an evaporative type cooler is very effective, but you should have your fill water tied to a soft water system if you do that.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

This summer there were days we were wishing for a chiller. The water got up to 93 and was not refreshing. We have a gas heater that we mainly use for the spa but we heated the pool so we could swim on Thanksgiving. Still waiting on that bill. It took about 8 hrs to heat the pool from 63 to 85. We have a solar cover we put on it to help hold in the warmth. We like the cover so we can swim earlier and later. It’s kind of a pain but worth it. By the time it’s not warming the pool we are kind of ready to be done for the year anyway.

By the time it’s not warming the pool we are kind of ready to be done for the year anyway.
+1. Once the sweatshirts go on, nobody feels like swimming for the most part. My solar cover worked AWESOME to its abilities, but on a cool week, the fact that the pool was 67 and not 61 was kinda a moot point. Well it is working…….. but still Brrrrr. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Nikilyn
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.