Quartz plaster in IGP shallow flaking on entry step in winterized pool

miles267

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Sep 5, 2016
Arkansas
Hi - our pool chemistry is balanced despite pump off for winter. After unpredictable weather last season (ice storms, power outages, etc), we opted to err on the side of caution and close our pool this year for the first time. The water level has lowered just below the tile line to safeguard against potential freeze damage during winter season. Having lowered the water level as such, it doesn’t cover the quartz finish surface of our single, small entry step on our tanning shelf which is usually just a couple inches above water level. Upon checking pool chemicals yesterday, I noticed the quartz/plaster finish on the surface of this entry step seems to be every slightly flaking away in a few areas. What causes this? Can it be easily fixed without resurfacing pool? Must I keep adding water throughout the winter to ensure this surface remains underwater? Or is it just usual wear and tear of pool surface? Thanks.

Attachments

• 2732D39F-5FB7-4565-A4A4-C7A85E9226D9.jpeg
    2732D39F-5FB7-4565-A4A4-C7A85E9226D9.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 38
Water freezing on plaster can break it up and cause flaking. You should not drain the water so that there is a thin layer to freeze on a ledge or step. Either drain it well down or leave an inch or more of water so if it ices on the water surface the ice will not reach the step.

Fixing it will require some new plaster.

• Wow
Reactions: KJB1
Water freezing on plaster can break it up and cause flaking. You should not drain the water so that there is a thin layer to freeze on a ledge or step. Either drain it well down or leave an inch or more of water so if it ices on the water surface the ice will not reach the step.

Fixing it will require some new plaster.
Thanks @ajw22. Appreciate your response. Is this a relatively minor repair if it isn't occurring elsewhere in the pool? Though I can appreciate it may be challenging, if not impossible, to get it to match. We picked the lightest shade of blue Diamond Brite quartz finish without getting into white.

You need to see if you can find a plaster guy to do a small area.

Reactions: miles267
So I have a small step in my pool that my pool builder had me place a submersible pump on. The pump leave just about half an inch of water on the step and at that waterline it’s just about 1/2” below the waterline tile. I had concerns about this as well because of photos I saw last year from the Texas freeze. They told me it’s not a concern. If I lower it and up it on the sunledge then I’d have the problem there. The pool builder said it’s not an issue he has ever seen.

Just because your PB has never seen the issue does not mean it does not exist.

It does not happen frequently but if you get the right conditions it can create problems.

Just because your PB has never seen the issue does not mean it does not exist.

It does not happen frequently but if you get the right conditions it can create problems.
I agree what would you recommend the. Lower water to half way between 1st step and sun deck and not use the auto pump since it pumps down to a half ink and that will freeze and cause damage. Then empty water every so often or would u drain below the sun deck too?

Show me pics of your situation.

I would not use an auto pump. You want to control the water level and adjust the water level as necessary when freezing conditions are expected.

I've since reached out to my PB to have them come and inspect and quote for repair (out of warranty). However I've since allows the water to evaporate down below the surface of this step since the damage had occurred on the level surface of the step when it was under water that had frozen. Will see what they say.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PB recommended one of two options: 1.) resurface step with same quartz plaster (0.5 day of work), then fill and plaster will cure underwater or 2.) replace this area that was previously damaged by ice abrasion with non-slip 1x1 inch tiles. Both were comparable in price (mostly labor). We've opted for option 1 as it won't be a perfect match but also won't stick out as much as a patch. Understand due to placement of this step, we'll likely need to repair it again in future with same method. They'll be addressing this in a couple weeks before reopening the pool for spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.