Quartz disaster need help getting in balance

tjk65

Silver Supporter
Jun 14, 2020
Round Rock, Tx
My PB has been trying to fix his sub-par plaster job for 1 1/2 years. This last time he did an acid bath. 2 weeks ago they put in baking soda to neutralize the acid and have not been back. Trying to force his hand to pay for chemicals and take care of I am done. They did a second acid wash, replastered, acid wash, then after three months acid bath and still just a mess. Replaster resulted in crazing everywhere, that we did not have before. After repeatedly contacting them, they are refusing to do anything. My pool is a mess where do I start other than the lawyer
PH 9.3
FC 0
TA 40
CH 775
CYA 0
Salt 1250
CSI -1.0
Do I put acid in first to bring down PH? Or do I need to drain and re-add water due to high Calcium hardness. Or should I be doing other steps? Pool math says I need to drain 40% of water. really?? I have already paid for 3 fills on this pool.

Also, I have so much sediment in the spa I don't' even know how to get out other than drain it and wipe out? Nothing helps just moves around then it settles again.

Last edited:
My PB has been trying to fix his sub-par plaster job for 1 1/2 years. This last time he did an acid bath. 2 weeks ago they put in baking soda to neutralize the acid and have not been back. Trying to force his hand to pay for chemicals and take care of I am done. They did a second acid wash, replastered, acid wash, then after three months acid bath and still just a mess. Replaster resulted in crazing everywhere, that we did not have before. After repeatedly contacting them, they are refusing to do anything. My pool is a mess where do I start other than the lawyer
PH 9.3
FC 0
TA 40
CH 775
CYA 0
Salt 1250
CSI -1.0
Do I put acid in first to bring down PH? Or do I need to drain and re-add water due to high Calcium hardness. Or should I be doing other steps? Pool math says I need to drain 40% of water. really?? I have already paid for 3 fills on this pool.

Also, I have so much sediment in the spa I don't' even know how to get out other than drain it and wipe out? Nothing helps just moves around then it settles again.

You got some weird test numbers. Are those from the TF-100? Adding more acid is just going to lower your TA which is already too low.

I'd be worried about that CH number 1st. That is getting pretty high. Only solution for that is partial drain & re-fill. Then you can worry about the alkalinity (baking soda to raise) and pH (acid to lower).

You have to wonder where all that Calcium came from. Is it from fill water, or is it from the acid washes etching the plaster?

I say it is from the acid bath etching the plaster. Just went to start trying to get sediment out and spa is so rough it cuts your fingers and the pebbles are coming off as I rub, Also spots have flaked off down to gunite. They have done a doozy on it. Trying to decide if I go the the lawyer route or just cut my losses and find someone myself to do a quality job. The plaster sub had tried four times and this is where I am at. Really dont' want them touching again.

All the acid washes have ruined your plaster.

You continue to have aggressive water etching the pool with a CSI of -1.0.

Lower your pH into the 7s ASAP to get your water out of the aggressive zone while you are thinking about what else to do.

Watch your TA as you lower your pH. Lower your pH in doses of around 0.3 and retest each round until your pH is in the 7s.

Get at least 30 ppm of CYA and 5 ppm of FC into the water to keep it from turning green.

No it is not melting but sure looks like it. We have drained the spa twice and keep getting this sediment. The walls are so rough to touch. We tried using a stainless steel brush, but that did not help. This happened after the plaster contractor did an acid bath on my pool to correct their other problems. What have they done?? FYI we are supposed to have NPT Tahoe Blue Quartzscape, which I even question.

Attachments

• IMG_7897.JPG
    IMG_7897.JPG
    538 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: Staceyleah22
No it is not melting but sure looks like it. We have drained the spa twice and keep getting this sediment. The walls are so rough to touch. We tried using a stainless steel brush, but that did not help. This happened after the plaster contractor did an acid bath on my pool to correct their other problems. What have they done?? FYI we are supposed to have NPT Tahoe Blue Quartzscape, which I even question.
That’s your spa plaster? It looks destroyed or is it supposed to be a “natural stone” type texture?

Edit: oh I see. That’s sediment you’ve collected in a bag.

Last edited:
Reactions: Staceyleah22
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.