Quarantine Christmas Pool Build - ATX - Intellicenter - System Reset?

Looks like cheap drainage rock. The appearance seems ok but a rounded river rock would look better IMO and certainly feel better. Hopefully your kids don’t experiment with putting any of them in the skimmers!

Reactions: NWS
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I also agree that the river rock would be better...and we chose it specifically because we wanted the smooth look :roll: sigh...we're getting SO CLOSE to finally being finished!

Reactions: Newdude
I just went through a bunch of rocks to consider and to me, that rock looks questionable as river rock but it can come in pieces like that. It isn't always smooth. All the beach pebble I've seen has been smooth but I've seen variations on river rock. Maybe take a sample to a rock store and get an expert opinion?

Last edited:
Reactions: NWS
Thanks for all of the advice @kimkats @Newdude @bmoreswim @Cena_sea @BigPapaSmurf The construction manager came out to do the final walkthrough and realized right away that they had used the wrong rock. Removed everything and installed the correct mexican beach pebble within 2 days. Loving the final look..and definitely easier on the toes!

Attachments

• IMG_9636.jpg
    IMG_9636.jpg
    780.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_9641 2.jpg
    IMG_9641 2.jpg
    742.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_9643 2.jpg
    IMG_9643 2.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 92
Noticed the following hairline crack in the middle of our lueder coping directly above our sheer descent. Crack continues down back of raised wall nearly to the ground. I've also attached pic of sheer descent so you can see the location. The crack is in the top coping directly above the sheer descent and continues down the back wall. Is this cosmetic or more of a serious concern that needs to be addressed??

Attachments

• crack in lueder.jpg
    crack in lueder.jpg
    722.5 KB · Views: 91
  • crack in gunite.jpg
    crack in gunite.jpg
    775.7 KB · Views: 91
  • sheer descent.jpg
    sheer descent.jpg
    918.6 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Project manager came to take a look this week...he took pics and is going to discuss with the owner; however his belief (no surprise) was that this was normal settling and cosmetic cracking and would not cause long-term issues. Any other builders on here that could share their opinion? What's the recommended process in a situation like this? Should we get an outside opinion? If so, from whom?

The fact that the crack propagated through multiple materials is concerning. It says the structure behind likely moved and cracked.

I think the coping stone needs to be popped off and you can see if there is a crack in the structure under it. Then decide if the wall needs to be opened.

Is that a gunite/rebar wall?

The fact that the crack propagated through multiple materials is concerning. It says the structure behind likely moved and cracked.

I think the coping stone needs to be popped off and you can see if there is a crack in the structure under it. Then decide if the wall needs to be opened.

Is that a gunite/rebar wall?
Thanks @ajw22 for your insight. Yes, it's a gunite/rebar wall. Here are some pics during the build process:

Attachments

• back wall rebar.jpg
    back wall rebar.jpg
    904.3 KB · Views: 33
  • back wall gunite.jpg
    back wall gunite.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 33
Can you figure out if the crack aligns with one of the vertical pipes in the wall?

Where does the crack line up relative to the three pipes coming out of the wall and the two vertical pipes in the wall?

Can you figure out if the crack aligns with one of the vertical pipes in the wall?

Where does the crack line up relative to the three pipes coming out of the wall and the two vertical pipes in the wall?
Great insight, @ajw22 . The crack does seem to line up perfectly with the vertical pipe and the jet in the center of the wall.

The crack does seem to line up perfectly with the vertical pipe and the jet in the center of the wall.

Hard to see depth in the picture but it looked to me like thee plywood form was too close to the pipe and you did not get much thickness of the gunite around the pipe. I think the cracking is due to thin gunite and no rebar behind the pipe.

Look at the vertical pipes on the two side of the picture. The right pipe has a green square on it. They both have rebar surrounding the pipe on all four sides and the plywood form is set farther back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.